AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/)
-   -   Fuel door problem (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/fuel-door-problem-2798974/)

sadj2885 01-22-2011 10:10 AM

Fuel door problem

Anyone else experiencing an issue with the fuel door? Whenever i pull into a station the attendant cant open it. I press the unlock door button over and over an nothing, only thing that works is closing the doors locking the car with the key fob and unlocking them again with the key fob. Annoying as hell. I'm gonna have to take it in to get it looked at.

JD15 01-22-2011 10:17 AM

The only problem that I experienced is that fuel door is difficult to open during the winter; a few nights ago, I had to spend several minutes scraping ice out of the crevice between the fuel door and the surrounding body panel before I could get the door open. I never had a problem getting a traditional door open during the winter.

Kontroversen 01-22-2011 11:15 AM

Using some spray silicone on the latch mechanism keeps it from sticking in cold weather. Works great on door seals too.

efett 01-22-2011 05:01 PM

mine froze up pretty good had to dump some windshield wiper fluid in it to thaw it out.

ItsDubC 01-22-2011 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by sadj2885 (Post 24094100)
Anyone else experiencing an issue with the fuel door? Whenever i pull into a station the attendant cant open it. I press the unlock door button over and over an nothing, only thing that works is closing the doors locking the car with the key fob and unlocking them again with the key fob. Annoying as hell. I'm gonna have to take it in to get it looked at.

This happened to me once at the gas station. I had to restart the car and then turn it off again to get the fuel door open. Since then, I've seen the error come up one more time in a VAG-COM scan as an electrical fault to the fuel door locking mechanism IIRC, but I don't remember having any issue at the pump.

The issue's not reproducible so I didn't bother having the dealership look at it.

iqqiqqiqq 01-23-2011 09:00 AM

same issue here except mine won't even open at all after re-start and etc... Ended up using to manual release at back of the trunk (see manual for detail). First real issue on my B8 but a very annoying one. Scheduled to a visit next week to the dealer will see what they say.

NJRoadFan 01-23-2011 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ItsDubC (Post 24094366)
This happened to me once at the gas station. I had to restart the car and then turn it off again to get the fuel door open. Since then, I've seen the error come up one more time in a VAG-COM scan as an electrical fault to the fuel door locking mechanism IIRC, but I don't remember having any issue at the pump.

The issue's not reproducible so I didn't bother having the dealership look at it.

Don't clear the fault codes. I had the same problem with my fuel door not unlocking. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the fuel door release servo under warranty.

ThePiombino 01-24-2011 03:01 AM

Make sure the key is in the ignition and the car in in "P"

ItsDubC 01-24-2011 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan (Post 24094794)
Don't clear the fault codes. I had the same problem with my fuel door not unlocking. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the fuel door release servo under warranty.

Ya in hindsight I should not have cleared the code but I was tinkering w/ VCDS and wanted to get a baseline readout w/ as few error codes as possible (I don't have my Sirius activated so that always comes up in the scan). The next time I see the code, I will probably leave it and take it in for them to see.

I've seen other B8ers report this issue as well; could be one of those B8-specific issues that have flown under the radar and haven't yet been addressed.

Macallan21 01-24-2011 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 24094105)
The only problem that I experienced is that fuel door is difficult to open during the winter; a few nights ago, I had to spend several minutes scraping ice out of the crevice between the fuel door and the surrounding body panel before I could get the door open. I never had a problem getting a traditional door open during the winter.

Silicone or vasoline work well on this.