AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   hesitation on acceleration (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/hesitation-acceleration-78624/)

Koolgreen 05-03-2001 04:13 PM

hesitation on acceleration

Need some ideas on what it might be.
It is slight and mostly when cold but does it less when warm
Hoping it might be just an ecu adjustment!

frame2 05-03-2001 04:17 PM

all my engine "klunkiness" was from deposits and such, gumout :)

Sal R. 05-03-2001 04:18 PM

MY2001? Are you chipped?

Koolgreen 05-03-2001 04:33 PM

Mine is a 97 1.8T Do you put gumout in the gas tank or spray it in the thottle body??

Where do you spray the gum out??
where was the buildup on yours??

AndrewM (azdaspeed3) 05-03-2001 04:38 PM

get a quality fuel treatment and put it in. the 1.8T's plugs have a tendency to get carbon deposits

frame2 05-03-2001 04:54 PM

you pour the gumout injector cleaner in your gas tank :) (more)

do you run 91+ gas? try using a bottler of octane boost once in a while. I alternate between the stp fuel treatment (80cents), the concentrated fuel treatment, octane boost, injector cleaner, whatever I feel would be best for the car at the time. I try to put at least one of the above every 2-3 tanks. When I bought the car the engine was horribly gunked up and badly down on power. I used all of the above in double doses for 2 weeks and it cleared things right up along with some new plugs and filters. So far using the occasional additive regime I've had no problems whatsoever.

Hope this works for you!

Koolgreen 05-03-2001 05:33 PM

Thanks ...does anyone know if winter fuel is different than summer fuel???

Thanks
I am just wondering if the fact we are in a seasonal transition
is it true that winter fuel is different than summer fuel??

Toaster29 05-03-2001 06:28 PM

Uh ohhhh :(.......(ALOT more)

My old car did the same thing. Its the most pronounced when the engine is cold and for the most part goes away once everything is warm. Started out just like what you described, and my problem got worse with time. Seemed to be the worst starting off from a dead stop w/ a cold engine. My car sounded like it was bogging or something, really weird, NO power while making that sound. One time I was at the bottom of a hill at a red light right after I cranked the car. I almost had to pull to the side, it barely had enough power to get to the top (This was at the problem's peak)
I Took it to the dealership numerous times. Hell, the Regional service manager came and got the car and took it to the place where they teach to be Audi mechanincs. Replaced items (lets see if I can remember them all): All 4 spark plugs, Mass air, entire throttle body unit, ECU, air filter, fuel filter, injectors, various cleaning/replacement of different sensors, etc..... End result. Yep, still did it. While not as pronounced/often as before the transplant ;), it was still a problem. I got rid of that car, much to my service department's relief.
I hope I didn't just describe your cars behavior, for your own sake. Best of luck!!

Andy Hedin 05-04-2001 08:40 AM

Yes......got some Techron.....don't waste your time with Gumout.