AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MK 1 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/)
-   -   Sunroof leak (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/sunroof-leak-2830323/)

OceansA4 07-20-2012 08:47 AM

Sunroof leak

Just wanting to stand up and be counted. Our 07 Q7 developed a small leak on the right front passenger side. I called my SA to tell him what I was experiencing and he was saying that it was probably the A/C drains are clogged. From what I'm understanding on this forum, most likely scenario would one of three things, A/C clogged drains, sunroof drain hoses leaking or a cracked sunroof frame. I then took car on a 1000 mile road trip with no leak until I stopped by a carwash to have the Q washed. Sure enough small amount of water on the all weather floor mats again. Also have the slight rusting on the bracket inside the passenger side fuse panel. Took car in to dealership to have them confirm that its in fact the drain tube thats failed. Asked them not to look at the A/C drains but to concentrate on the sunroof drains and frame. Initial estimate just to diagnose was 750.00. Ouch. I asked for a total quote for replacement of all 4 drains and the worst case would be 1400.00. Once confirmed that it was the sunroof drain I contacted AOA. Not a bunch of speedy people over there. Was told they review these on a case by case basis. To state my case I informed them that I was aware that this is a known issue, that there is a TSB for certain VIN ranges, ours is above that range, and that they have developed a "retrofit kit" for the sunroof drain tubes. I also am a multi Audi owner. Took a week for AOA to give me a decision, and I was told it was based on the fact that I was a "loyal customer due to multi ownership". They are picking up 85% of the total job. Thats 105.00 out of my pocket. I will take that but disappointed AOA doesn't seem to want to admit responsibility. Supposed to get the car back by the weekend so we shall see. Just wanted to get this out there since this issue should not be falling on the customers

Regards,
John

Jusforfun 07-20-2012 05:03 PM

Great they decided pick up most of the tab, pity they spoiled a good gesture for the sake of $100 and odd bucks.
Will record as posted!

RAD2 07-21-2012 04:28 AM

Feel lucky, I had to pay for the rear drains, after I asked my dealer several times to replace them before warranty was expired when each of the front drains started to leak, that of course they did not do. When the rear leak happened (out of warranty), it did damage the bose amplifier, and that was paid by the dealer.
You are 100% correct, AUDINA does not care much about their customer, they should have recalled the sunroof for all the vehicles with the mentioned VIN #, instead of just creating a TSB. Up to date it looks like my Q7 sunroof is draining OK, no leak on heavy rain.
I will never buy an Audi during the first year of production, I will wait at least to the second year, I was one of the first 1,000 customer in the USA getting the Q7, never again.
We should create a "leaking sunroof" forum.

Jusforfun 07-21-2012 03:36 PM

875 Q7s reporting in 6 years. 341 are MY 2007. Total number with (MY 2007 Body) faults 90, of which 35 were some sort of problem with sunroof.
Safe to say there are more 07s reporting purely on account of the teething problems not least the sunroof. Couple that with the initial rush to get a Q7 and the extra time for reporting on them, include CPO and used cars joining the forum explains why we have a higher proportion of 07s
You can see from the numbers it just would not support its own forum.
At least we have the spreadsheet which can be used ongoing. As long as the data is recorded it can be examined.
I can see why they opted for the TSB route I just cant see why they dont just cover it properly when it crops up.
Have the Bean Counters really decided that as the 07 gets older they can get away with an exponentially smaller liability.

Bear in mind, the Warranty for US cars is not handled by Audi AG on a car by car basis which may suit Audi of America but not the customer. They take a max expected figure based on known problems (or some similar calculation) and refund that amount into the system so Audi of America will not endlessly pass the buck back for every little thing but rather handle it locally. It is also why after a little wrangling in most cases they are able to come back and cough up. For all I know they do go back to AG in certain individual cases and get extra funding but basically its in the service depts best interest to keep the cost down and be quick.
Against that, to be fair to Audi AG they have already covered the cost of expected remedial work and expect the standard to be met. If dealerships want to stay in the loop they must perform too.

As long as people check in and report on forum its easy enough to keep count and trace back with one simple spreadsheet (well I think so anyway)

RAD2 07-21-2012 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jusforfun (Post 24326167)
875 Q7s reporting in 6 years. 341 are MY 2007. Total number with (MY 2007 Body) faults 90, of which 35 were some sort of problem with sunroof.
Safe to say there are more 07s reporting purely on account of the teething problems not least the sunroof. Couple that with the initial rush to get a Q7 and the extra time for reporting on them, include CPO and used cars joining the forum explains why we have a higher proportion of 07s
You can see from the numbers it just would not support its own forum.
At least we have the spreadsheet which can be used ongoing. As long as the data is recorded it can be Nexamined.
I can see why they opted for the TSB route I just cant see why they dont just cover it properly when it crops up.
Have the Bean Counters really decided that as the 07 gets older they can get away with an exponentially smaller liability.

Bear in mind, the Warranty for US cars is not handled by Audi AG on a car by car basis which may suit Audi of America but not the customer. They take a max expected figure based on known problems (or some similar calculation) and refund that amount into the system so Audi of America will not endlessly pass the buck back for every little thing but rather handle it locally. It is also why after a little wrangling in most cases they are able to come back and cough up. For all I know they do go back to AG in certain individual cases and get extra funding but basically its in the service depts best interest to keep the cost down and be quick.
Against that, to be fair to Audi AG they have already covered the cost of expected remedial work and expect the standard to be met. If dealerships want to stay in the loop they must perform too.

As long as people check in and report on forum its easy enough to keep count and trace back with one simple spreadsheet (well I think so anyway)

Hello justforfun, I know a forum is not needed for this, I am just upset about the issue.
You know I have been on board the Q7 since 2006.
Best regards from Florida,

sam08861 07-21-2012 10:21 PM

RAD2`

Originally Posted by RAD2 (Post 24326173)
Hello justforfun, I know a forum is not needed for this, I am just upset about the issue.
You know I have been on board the Q7 since 2006.
Best regards from Florida,

What a surprise!

What's with the smear campaign?

OceansA4 07-22-2012 04:57 AM

Rad2, Totally get your frustrations! Because of you and others being up front about sharing your experiences with the car helps make us all more educated. I may not post very much but follow this thread daily to see if there are any new tips and tricks about the Q. I thought about your experience with with your dealership and used that when letting my dealership know I wouldn't settle for just the 1 drain that was leaking. Common sense says replace all, especially considering how much more damage can occur.

In 07, I also had the dreaded oil sending unit problem, and because of this forum knew exactly what the sound was when starting up the car. Sorry Jusforfun, never reported this to the forum.

So, got the car back yesterday, so far so good, did have what looked like a small amount of the epoxy that there now using on the joints dripped on my door that I'm having to work off. Will keep everyone updated if there are further problems. The SA broke down the who paid what, AOA picked up 60%, Dealership kicked in 25% which left me with 15% of the tab.

Just some history on our vehicle, it has 38500, is always garaged, kind of a garage queen, and those miles are from mostly vacation trips up and down the state of California. I really never expected to see this problem considering how it the car was never used as a daily or regularly saw the elements. I really do feel that if my car can experience this issue, from workmanship and the elements, then there probably will be more of these cropping up on the horizon

RAD2 07-22-2012 05:08 AM

This post was for justforfun

Originally Posted by sam08861 (Post 24326258)
What a surprise!

What's with the smear campaign?

I answered you on your post.

RAD2 07-22-2012 05:12 AM

It is a major issue

Originally Posted by OceansA4 (Post 24326296)
Rad2, Totally get your frustrations! Because of you and others being up front about sharing your experiences with the car helps make us all more educated. I may not post very much but follow this thread daily to see if there are any new tips and tricks about the Q. I thought about your experience with with your dealership and used that when letting my dealership know I wouldn't settle for just the 1 drain that was leaking. Common sense says replace all, especially considering how much more damage can occur.

In 07, I also had the dreaded oil sending unit problem, and because of this forum knew exactly what the sound was when starting up the car. Sorry Jusforfun, never reported this to the forum.

So, got the car back yesterday, so far so good, did have what looked like a small amount of the epoxy that there now using on the joints dripped on my door that I'm having to work off. Will keep everyone updated if there are further problems. The SA broke down the who paid what, AOA picked up 60%, Dealership kicked in 25% which left me with 15% of the tab.

Just some history on our vehicle, it has 38500, is always garaged, kind of a garage queen, and those miles are from mostly vacation trips up and down the state of California. I really never expected to see this problem considering how it the car was never used as a daily or regularly saw the elements. I really do feel that if my car can experience this issue, from workmanship and the elements, then there probably will be more of these cropping up on the horizon

Only the Q7 drivers with the sunroof leaks know how frustrating is dealing with the issue (fighting with the dealer and spending our money).

Yas213 09-13-2012 01:17 AM

Cracked sunroof leak blown amplifier

I recently had my mma system go out. I went to the dealer and told them exactly what it was due to Internet research. It first started with my system being stuck on mute. The next day I can hear electric interference in the speakers. The next day everything Is off. My blue tooth, stereo and back up camera all out. If I hit the volume button to turn it on the screen will light up mma for like 5 sec and then turn off. I did research and heard how the sunroof leaks due to drains being plugged or cracked sunroof. I took the car to McKenna Audi is Downey/Norwalk and told them what I found on the net. The did a diagnosis and confirmed it was a cracked sunroof that cause a leak and water shorted out the Bose amplifier. As soon as I dropped the car off I called customer service and told them what happened and I know there is a lot of issues and I know for a fact many other vw and Audi models have been recalled for this same issue and I'm guessing by the number of a4 and toured models opposed to q7 models is maybe why it hasn't been recalled. They did research on the vin and says there are no known issues. I told him impossible u can go online and read on hundreds of cases there is even a websitemleakingaudi.com about this issue. He just said take it to the dealer lets find the problem and go from there. I get a call back from the customer service and Shawn told me dealer confirmed cracked sunroof causing leak that blew out the amp and it's not consumer at fault. They offered to pay 50% of a $4700 bill. Which is straight bs. I should not have to pay anything for a manufacturer defect. I have been playing phone tag for the last week to get Shawn on the phone to see if I can get more. I offered to pay my warranty deductible of $500 just waiting to see what they say. I will keep you posted. This is my 2nd Audi. I had a 2004 Audi a4 I paid over $500 out of my pocket to fix a brake light sensor that left the brake light on as if you were pressing the brake all the time. It caused my battery to die several time. Whatbhappens? About 4 yrs after I sell the car there is a recall. Audi needs to step up and fix these known problems. Btw I bought the 2007 q7 about 10 months ago with about 62k miles it is at 80k.