AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/)
-   -   Normal Oil Pressure? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/normal-oil-pressure-2766738/)

rwester19 10-31-2009 03:12 PM

Normal Oil Pressure?

What is the normal oil pressure for a b5 at idle, at normal operating temp?

donromani 10-31-2009 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by rwester19 (Post 23876377)
What is the normal oil pressure for a b5 at idle, at normal operating temp?

The OEM oil pressure sender for the b5s4 is rated between 1.2 and 1.6 bar. I suspect that the normal operating pressure is somewhere in that range but I don't know the exact number.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge installed? What reading are you getting?

rwester19 10-31-2009 05:46 PM

nope... haha i wish i had a gauge mounted in the car. A buddy of mines got the tool for testing pressure. So im thinking about borrowing that from him... ill report any findings if i end up going threw with it.

donromani 10-31-2009 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by rwester19 (Post 23876458)
nope... haha i wish i had a gauge mounted in the car. A buddy of mines got the tool for testing pressure. So im thinking about borrowing that from him... ill report any findings if i end up going threw with it.

Are you worried you might have a leak, or what's your reason for testing the oil pressure?

rwester19 11-01-2009 11:01 AM

Yeah im worried that ive got a leak somewhere. Its hard for me to tell tho because my driveway has oil stains all over it from when an oil cooler line went on my truck. I want to test it... drive it for a week... .then test it again to see if there is a drop. I havnt owned the car for too long and i cant get a good reading from to dipstick. Valve cover gasket looks good, no oil on the plugs. i can see any oil residue anywhere else. I got to do a timing belt soon.. i dont want to get it apart to find that i need a cam seal or something. Where do these things leak

donromani 11-01-2009 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by rwester19 (Post 23876706)
Yeah im worried that ive got a leak somewhere. Its hard for me to tell tho because my driveway has oil stains all over it from when an oil cooler line went on my truck. I want to test it... drive it for a week... .then test it again to see if there is a drop. I havnt owned the car for too long and i cant get a good reading from to dipstick. Valve cover gasket looks good, no oil on the plugs. i can see any oil residue anywhere else. I got to do a timing belt soon.. i dont want to get it apart to find that i need a cam seal or something. Where do these things leak

They actually are not that prone to leaking oil but when they do it is the typical culprits: seals, gaskets and so on. The oil cooler and oil pan can leak small amounts as well.

If you have existing oil spots on the floor then try putting down a big piece of cardboard and parking only the Audi on it. If you have stains on the cardboard then you'll know.