AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   speedometer stopped working....WTF (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/speedometer-stopped-working-wtf-2854871/)

jimmyjames72 10-04-2013 07:00 PM

speedometer stopped working....WTF

2004 Audi A6 2.7t quattro automatic..161,000 miles...the speedometer stopped and i ran codes and it said VSS , replaced and it still doesnt work...its so weird cause it will jump around one minute and then stay stuck on 0, then it may work for 30 minutes then stop again.....what the hell can it be?

tester123 10-04-2013 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyjames72 (Post 24495190)
2004 Audi A6 2.7t quattro automatic..161,000 miles...the speedometer stopped and i ran codes and it said VSS , replaced and it still doesnt work...its so weird cause it will jump around one minute and then stay stuck on 0, then it may work for 30 minutes then stop again.....what the hell can it be?

possible intermittent wiring / loose contact issues..?

jimmyjames72 10-04-2013 08:00 PM

loose contact wires where?

nzaudia6 10-05-2013 12:49 AM

Is every other gauge and light in the cluster functioning properly? I had a B5 A4 that had a flickering speedo needle. It got worse and worse and eventually stopped altogether. When the headlights were turned on the dash went completely dead and the all illuminated buttons on the interior went off e.g window buttons etc. I had to replace the dash to fix that problem

jimmyjames72 10-05-2013 06:00 AM

everything works fine except the speedo and then in turnmesses up the gas gauge and the odometer also.....what can this be...before i have to go to audi dealer.....

tester123 10-05-2013 07:36 AM

from vss and possibly behind the instrument cluster... Scanned to see any codes?

jimmyjames72 10-05-2013 08:15 AM

yeah the code it ran was calling for the VSS to be changed...i changed that and it still didnt work....some said the cluster has to be changed...but there is something like an imobilizer associated with that.

Prospeeder 10-05-2013 09:39 AM

The instrument cluster gets the VSS signal, then sends it to the ECU which will set a code. It is not getting VSS, because the instrument cluster has failed. Its not uncommon to have the electronic speedometers fail.

jimmyjames72 10-05-2013 01:13 PM

so if i have to replace the speedometer cluster, is something you can do yourself? it lookds fairly simple...a few screws in the front and it comes right out..or is this an expensive job for an audi dealer to do?

tester123 10-05-2013 03:17 PM

Just found out in the manual:

The Immobilizer is a theft-deterrent device that adds a layer of security that is standard on every Volkswagen and Audi model. This is achieved with an electronic device embedded in the ignition key, an Immobilizer Control Module and an electronic link to the Engine Control Module.

Working with Immobilizer Systems

Audi limits access to certain functions by requiring a Personal Identification Number (PIN).

PINs are required for the following functions:

• Adding new keys

• Replacing lost keys

• Replacing Instrument clusters

• Replacing Engine Control Modules

• Other repairs to the Immobilizer system

GeKo

Audi uses an on-line Immobilizer Adaptation (PIN) delivery system, known as GeKo. GeKo is a vehicle anti-theft protection system. With this system, the VAS 5051 or VAS 5052 diagnostic tester is connected to the vehicle and via Internet to an online database called Fazit. The identification of the tester and vehicle are passed to the database and the correct PIN is passed to the vehicle in a secure link without direct user interface.