AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   Can not remove AC control and center console - please help (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/can-not-remove-ac-control-center-console-please-help-2802490/)

1999Audi 03-20-2011 12:21 PM

Can not remove AC control and center console - please help

1 Attachment(s)
Im replacing heater core.

I can't remove AC unit control, and Center console, its look like something still holding it(please see photo blue arrows - 9 bolts removed), Is there more bolts or clips?
Please help. Thanks

thewayiseeit240 03-20-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1999Audi (Post 24119198)
Im replacing heater core.

I can't remove AC unit control, and Center console, its look like something still holding it(please see photo blue arrows - 9 bolts removed), Is there more bolts or clips?
Please help. Thanks

What you got there is a great start, now what you want to do is but i am not sure what model car you have, what I had to do is
1. Remove rear Center Console (3 Bolts)
2. Remove (2 Bolts) where to front shifter console connects and meets with the center console (the one with the arm rest, and cup holders) on the bottom near the seats. 8MM bolt(s)
3. The arm rest center console can stay in but the removing the bolts make it easier to install and put everything back together. Gives you the play room.
4. Now with the shifter console/radio console, follow the trim on the drivers side, near the gas pedal, there is a small oval shape rubber piece, carefully pull the console trim over the rubber piece.
5. Remove radio with DIN Keys
6. Remove radio (fake wood) trim (2 screw)
7. look for the x4, 8MM black bolts that hold in the shifter console, and remove them.
8. Now gently pull the shifter console, careful on the top part of the trim by the fake wood trim so you don't crack it.
9. After you got the console out, there will x4 8mm black bolts that hold in that whole unit and comes out as one.

Cheers.

1999Audi 03-21-2011 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by thewayiseeit240 (Post 24119339)
What you got there is a great start, now what you want to do is but i am not sure what model car you have, what I had to do is
1. Remove rear Center Console (3 Bolts)
2. Remove (2 Bolts) where to front shifter console connects and meets with the center console (the one with the arm rest, and cup holders) on the bottom near the seats. 8MM bolt(s)
3. The arm rest center console can stay in but the removing the bolts make it easier to install and put everything back together. Gives you the play room.
4. Now with the shifter console/radio console, follow the trim on the drivers side, near the gas pedal, there is a small oval shape rubber piece, carefully pull the console trim over the rubber piece.
5. Remove radio with DIN Keys
6. Remove radio (fake wood) trim (2 screw)
7. look for the x4, 8MM black bolts that hold in the shifter console, and remove them.
8. Now gently pull the shifter console, careful on the top part of the trim by the fake wood trim so you don't crack it.
9. After you got the console out, there will x4 8mm black bolts that hold in that whole unit and comes out as one.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot I got it.

...Im on the aluminum cross member now(steering wheel lowered, dash cover removed, pictures taken->just in case).... tomorrow I think, I finish it.

weaselciuy 03-21-2011 03:52 PM

same problem as mine, i tried removing the unit but its hard.

The AC unit is held in there by 4 clips:

Bottom are under the rear defrost and feet air direction button (arrow), opposite up 2 more clips. I managed using 2 screwdrivers...but its so frikin hard, there must be another way.

mtroxel 03-21-2011 04:39 PM

Those are a real puzzle. First time I did that on a facelift B5 I kind of pryed out the sides of the center console plastic and looked at the clips with my head crammed up in the footwell. A smarter guy than I might use a mirror, but it helped me see the clips and understand them when i could see it all from behind.

1999Audi 03-21-2011 06:48 PM

"The AC unit is held in there by 4 clips:" - I ended up removing Plastic frame with AC unit inside - this was the fast/best option for me.
And you dont need to remove AC unit alone - just take the whole plastic frame out.

weaselciuy 03-22-2011 05:04 AM

yeah i guess its easier that way but i wanted to remove the unit for other purpose to get behind it and move some cables. I didnt have to remove the whole console, thats a pain i guess :P .