AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   interior lights flicker dim and bright. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/interior-lights-flicker-dim-bright-275258/)

RoboEdar 10-04-2004 01:49 PM

interior lights flicker dim and bright.

i've got a 99 a4... w/ the all red gauge cluster, climate control, etc. and for some reason sine last week they are dim, and then they flicker bright and dim in random patterns. all of the interior lights flicker at the same time. if the gauge cluster flickers, then the climate control flickers at the same exact time blah blah....

i noticed that if i knock on the gauge cluster then it becomes bright for a few seconds...

any help guys?

Nate (ETKA+Scumbag) 10-04-2004 03:03 PM

If you have access to VAG-COM, run output tests on the IC as it will check dimmer operation via...

electronic control. It might also be a problem with the dimmer control on the IC. In that case you will want to remove and open the IC and check for lose or poor connections to the dimmer switch. I'm not 100% sure that it is the dimmer switch, it would just seem logical. If anything else, you might have a bad wire on the back of IC that supplies the signal to turn on the backlighting with your headlights.

pcw 10-04-2004 03:16 PM

my car does the same thing! it's the dimmer post for the

interior lights. shake the post to see if you have the same problem i have.

Nate (ETKA+Scumbag) 10-04-2004 03:24 PM

Good to know, thanks.

ChooChooNongNongHead 10-04-2004 03:41 PM

yep, I have had the same problem...

mine eventually wouldn't stay bright at all, I took the cluster out and opened it to see if I could do anything. I used a can of compressed air a blew all around the stalk and connections and it worked fine for a few weeks...now its doing it again but not as often. I think the thing is worn out...wish i knew how to fix this.

Urban Rally 10-04-2004 04:48 PM

aw nuts, I thought this would relate to my prob, but mine's a little different:

Occurring in random intervals but always under a minute, most of the idiot lights, (don't have dash puter) will flash on then off, so quickly, that by the time you look down to see which one, it's gone. Car has been running fine since this is an old problem, I'm afraid to get it warrentied, since they'll say "failed to reproduce customer complaint" (think I've heard that enough to remember their script from the top of my head? lol) and then charge me the $50 copay. any Ideas anyone? kinda searched but the dash light thing came up not about idiot lights

fortemike 12-15-2004 06:14 PM

Solution?

I am having a similiar problem. My climate control cluster will flicker from dim to bright with the headlights on.

I was wondering if anyone came up with a definitive fix. I hate to give the dealer a blank check. Thank you.