AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/rocky-mountain-discussion-38/)
-   -   Any experience with Opti-Coat? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/rocky-mountain-discussion-38/any-experience-opti-coat-2858866/)

Richard Solomon 12-27-2013 09:35 AM

Any experience with Opti-Coat?

The clear-bra on my C5 has not stood the test of time and CO roads all that well, so I'm wondering if something like Opti-Coat would be a good choice on my next car?

Has anyone tried that out here?

TIA,
Richard

uberwgn 12-27-2013 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon (Post 24522999)
The clear-bra on my C5 has not stood the test of time and CO roads all that well, so I'm wondering if something like Opti-Coat would be a good choice on my next car?

The OptiCoat product is excellent, but it's not going to offer better protection in terms of chips, etc., assuming that's what you're after, Richard.

I've got OptiCoat on two of our cars. I've been mostly pleased with its overall performance.

Richard Solomon 12-27-2013 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by uberwgn (Post 24523012)
The OptiCoat product is excellent, but it's not going to offer better protection in terms of chips, etc., assuming that's what you're after, Richard.

I've got OptiCoat on two of our cars. I've been mostly pleased with its overall performance.

Gotcha, thanks! I do see a lot of folks doing Xpel + Opti-Coat - I guess that's the reason why. What do you like and dislike about Opti-Coat? It sounds like a "permanent" wax then more than a better clear-bra?

Where did you get yours done? Edit: NVM, just realized you were in MA, not CO :D

Thanks!

uberwgn 12-28-2013 05:42 AM

These "coatings" are considered semi-permanent to permanent. They're not waxes or sealants. They resemeble water when applied. The surface must be free from defects and polished to perfection prior to application.

I'd say one of the best attributes is the OptiCoat's ability to shed so the car still looks quite good even when it's dirty.

I've got a competitive product on my daily driver. That's called CQuartz and it's glossier than the OptiCoat but I don't think it sheds as well. The CQuartz is expected to last 2 years. The CQuartz can be layered to gain additional thickness.

Richard Solomon 12-28-2013 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by uberwgn (Post 24523189)
I'd say one of the best attributes is the OptiCoat's ability to shed so the car still looks quite good even when it's dirty.

hmmm. Do you have clear bra underneath the coatings? It sure would be nice to rinse and go, but I guess I started with a wrong set of assumptions so I need to recalibrate.

Thanks.

uberwgn 12-29-2013 04:13 AM

No, no clear bra here.

Richard Solomon 08-07-2014 07:46 PM

Well I went with Xpel Ultimate on all kinds of panels (full hood, full fenders, bumper, roofline, A pillars back to rear windshield, trunk lid, door cups, mirrors) and managed to get the guys at High Point Detailing to sneak me in on a slow day for Opti-Coat Pro. All four wheels fully treated, and all the remaining un-Xpel'ed surfaces. Looks great now of course, stay tuned for long-term results.