AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-c7-platform-discussion-199/)
-   -   Throttle delay...lag...whatever, is driving me nuts. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-c7-platform-discussion-199/throttle-delay-lag-whatever-driving-me-nuts-2853102/)

SMK_RS4 08-29-2013 04:34 PM

Throttle delay...lag...whatever, is driving me nuts.

I don't know if this will help, but if you have an issue with the throttle delay or lag or whatever you want to call it, could you post here in this thread?

In my case, when I come to a stop, it can take two seconds or more before the car will start to accelerate when I press on the throttle. Turning left or right onto a busy road after coming to a stop is scary and dangerous. When I corner, the car bogs down and refuses to accelerate for about a second. When driving around in 'D' in sixth or seventh gear, I can operate the throttle like it's a pogo stick and the car won't even register any of the presses if they are relatively quick.

Having such poor response time takes all the fun out of driving the car in a spirited manner.

The car is great on the highway and for getting from point A to point B quickly and comfortably. But, the car is not a lot of fun, and I'm wondering if it's even a bit dangerous.

I hate to be negative, but if enough people have the same problem, perhaps Audi will make some adjustment to how the throttle works?

Is it true that the delay is gone for those who have the APR/Unitronic tune?

GermanGarage 08-29-2013 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by SMK_RS4 (Post 24482293)
I don't know if this will help, but if you have an issue with the throttle delay or lag or whatever you want to call it, could you post here in this thread?

In my case, when I come to a stop, it can take two seconds or more before the car will start to accelerate when I press on the throttle. Turning left or right onto a busy road after coming to a stop is scary and dangerous. When I corner, the car bogs down and refuses to accelerate for about a second. When driving around in 'D' in sixth or seventh gear, I can operate the throttle like it's a pogo stick and the car won't even register any of the presses if they are relatively quick.

Having such poor response time takes all the fun out of driving the car in a spirited manner.

The car is great on the highway and for getting from point A to point B quickly and comfortably. But, the car is not a lot of fun, and I'm wondering if it's even a bit dangerous.

I hate to be negative, but if enough people have the same problem, perhaps Audi will make some adjustment to how the throttle works?

Is it true that the delay is gone for those who have the APR/Unitronic tune?

Did you get the TSB's installed?

ellisinA4 08-29-2013 06:35 PM

TSB made only marginal difference in my case. The S-mode shifts became even worse also.

blow352 08-29-2013 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by ellisinA4 (Post 24482343)
TSB made only marginal difference in my case. The S-mode shifts became even worse also.

Similar experience here. D mode became smoother. S-mode became MUCH worse...:(

Is there anything else we can do?

SMK_RS4 08-29-2013 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by GermanGarage (Post 24482319)
Did you get the TSB's installed?

Yes, my car was in for the TSB last week.

I have noticed some improvements while accelerating. The car seems to shift better going up the gears - perhaps the shift points were tweaked. It honestly feels faster. The car is a rocket.

Coming to a stop in 'S' mode is just as jerky as before.

I was hoping for a change in the throttle delay but it seems the same as before the TSB.

FAST4DR S6 08-29-2013 07:17 PM

That was one of the biggest improvements that I have seen if the 2 weeks since getting my car tuned. The throttle response was awful from the factory for the reasons mentioned, and the jerky whiplash downshifts when in dynamic sport mode was ridiculous and unacceptable.

Those are the 2 major areas that have been corrected with my tune. Have been tuning my cars for over 20 years, and my reason for tuning above having more power and torque is having the car be more engaging and removing what I call the slop from the factory OEM calibrations.

DD1546 08-29-2013 07:30 PM

Turbo lag

Having owned turbo cars before, I recognize the turbo lag. The degree to which I see it depends on just how low the revs are when I step down and seems worse when I fully mash the gas from a stop. That's probably why they included a programmed launch control from high rpm, but its of little use in everyday driving. I suspect that the idle rpm is set low to save gas and that this makes the problem worse.

Regarding the downshifts, mine also occur in Auto, but maybe the computer has "learned" that I have a heavy foot. I go in in a couple of weeks for the various TSBs and we'll see.

SMK_RS4 08-29-2013 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by DD1546 (Post 24482362)
Having owned turbo cars before, I recognize the turbo lag. The degree to which I see it depends on just how low the revs are when I step down and seems worse when I fully mash the gas from a stop.

Just to be clear, I'm not referring to turbo lag. When I press on the gas nothing happens 'at all' until the car decides that I must actually be serious and my foot didn't 'slip' onto the gas pedal by mistake. I could probably live with a half-second delay but not two seconds sometimes when turning onto a busy road with cars coming at me.

blow352 08-29-2013 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by SMK_RS4 (Post 24482356)
Coming to a stop in 'S' mode is just as jerky as before.

I can confirm this and I noticed it immediately on the drive home from the service department. Is there any use in going back and telling them the problem is not fixed?

DeerHunter 08-29-2013 10:17 PM

My car was in for a service before this TSB was available. I complained again about the jerky downshifts in 'S' mode and their solution was a Transmission Adaptation. I would say that it's about 80% better than it was (still the occasional clunker going into 2nd, but much improved). Maybe the answer, for those getting the TSB, is to request a Tranny Adaptation be performed right after the update.