AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   Door lock issues? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/door-lock-issues-2860411/)

pbcsd 01-25-2014 07:32 AM

Door lock issues?

Recently I've been having some issues with my door locks where the doors won't open regardless of whether I'm near the car or push the unlock button on the key. This morning it happened again where I could open the rear driver door but not the front door so I had to go in through the the back seat and reach over to unlock the front door by pulling the handle.

Will try replying the battery but I don't think that's the issue as I replaced the battery a few months ago.

It's been pretty cold in Toronto and the locks appear to work fine if the car is warm, but obviously not being able to unlock the door is an issue. Especially given for whatever reason there is no key mechanism on the external door and you HAVE to rely on the key fob itself.

Which reminds me, what happens if the battery on the key fob dies when you are out? Is there a manual override that you can use the metal key for?

moose_head 01-25-2014 08:22 AM

Huh? There is a key hole on the door handle.

doobs41378 01-25-2014 09:02 AM

Have had the same issue lately with my back passenger door where my daughter sits, the keyless never picks it up even if key is in my hand the red light just blinks and I have to do it by hand with the unlock button. My battery is only a month old so def not that.....

GUEST123 01-25-2014 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by moose_head (Post 24534145)

That ^, and the key fob has the key in it - just push in the small button on the chrome cap of the fob to remove the key and use it in the driver's door key hole. Also, check and see if the back-up key fob works any better than the one you're using.

pbcsd 01-25-2014 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by moose_head (Post 24534145)

Chalk that up to the -25 degree brain cramp, didn't even see it on the snow covered door!

pbcsd 01-25-2014 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by doobs41378 (Post 24534163)
Have had the same issue lately with my back passenger door where my daughter sits, the keyless never picks it up even if key is in my hand the red light just blinks and I have to do it by hand with the unlock button. My battery is only a month old so def not that.....

Are you just noticing it in the cold as well?

pbcsd 01-25-2014 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by LYKUNO (Post 24534201)
That ^, and the key fob has the key in it - just push in the small button on the chrome cap of the fob to remove the key and use it in the driver's door key hole. Also, check and see if the back-up key fob works any better than the one you're using.

Problem is that it's intermittent. But if it happens when I'm at home will think if this next time.

doobs41378 01-25-2014 02:56 PM

It did start this winter and it has been freezing but I have no idea if that has anything to do with it...

Sandy S 01-25-2014 08:02 PM

Seems like 2 different problems mentioned in the replies. If the door sensors in the door handles go intermittent you will need to get them replaced. Mine started working intermittently depending temperature. The Audi dealer checked them, found them defective and replaced them on all 4 doors. If the doors don't unlock when you push the button on the key fob, that is something else. I would try replacing the battery in the key fob first and then get it looked at if that does not fix it.