AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/)
-   -   Sputters, loss of power and burning smell? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/sputters-loss-power-burning-smell-2801181/)

Invertediq 02-26-2011 05:07 AM

Sputters, loss of power and burning smell?

I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I have read a few forums but I wanted to put my specific situation up.

I experienced some massive sputtering the other day and loss of power. Took it in and replaced 3 ignition coils. Ran perfect....for 2 days. Started having the same problem again. The sputter isn't constant this time, but randomly as I need power from the engine. Code finally same on. 1 cylinder misfire. Not sure if it's the 1 I didn't replace before, but that's odd that 3-4 went bad randomly all at once. Also pull secondary air flow(P0411) and another airflow notice.

I can do the coil myself if that's the problem, but I don't want to keep dropping money in them if they are going to be going out a lot because of another problem. There is also a burning plastic/rubber smell from the engine now too? Not sure if that's related.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions

lyleswk 02-28-2011 04:24 AM

When you combine the burning smell and misfire, I would start with the last coilpack. Not sure why they didn't replace them all to begin with. If that doesn't solve it, then you probably need to trace the coilpack harness, but those burning are pretty rare.

As far as the secondary and other code, it is generaly the pump itself, but I would start by looking for a leak from the vacuum lnes in that area. The secondary air pump is below the turbo (I assume you have a 1.8 based on your coilpack comments) and looks like the attached. What generally happens is the case starts coming apart. If that is your problem, replace the combi valve at the same time.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-...dary_Air_Pump/

Invertediq 02-28-2011 08:33 PM

Ok, I got new plugs for the heck of it. Replaced them all and switched the one coil that was still throwing with another. So far so good. We'll see what happens over the next few days.

I detached the hose coming out of the air pump and it was blowing very well, which leads me to believe either a post pump hose is bad/off or it's the combivalve itself. Sound right?

lyleswk 03-01-2011 04:05 AM

Sounds right. Let us know.

supawyde 03-03-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Invertediq (Post 24109835)
I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I have read a few forums but I wanted to put my specific situation up.

I experienced some massive sputtering the other day and loss of power. Took it in and replaced 3 ignition coils. Ran perfect....for 2 days. Started having the same problem again. The sputter isn't constant this time, but randomly as I need power from the engine. Code finally same on. 1 cylinder misfire. Not sure if it's the 1 I didn't replace before, but that's odd that 3-4 went bad randomly all at once. Also pull secondary air flow(P0411) and another airflow notice.

I can do the coil myself if that's the problem, but I don't want to keep dropping money in them if they are going to be going out a lot because of another problem. There is also a burning plastic/rubber smell from the engine now too? Not sure if that's related.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions

I have been having very similar issues. I had to get a vacum replaced b/c I could hear air blowing out and making a hissing noise. It eventually led to sputtering. I also had occaisional burnt oil smell and discovered oil on various parts of my engine. Ended up being Cam tensioner, Cam valve and an oil plug. Give a good look around. I'm now working on new sputtering with cylinder misfires although coilpacks were replaced in July. Good luck.

fatbo 04-25-2011 01:54 PM

i have a 1.8t replaced bad coilpack,sparkplugs,wiresstill got loss of power.no spark from sparkplug.can someone help please.

sachinsb 04-25-2011 03:37 PM

More problems....

I have 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro which has run 113K miles. I bought it in first week of march this year with 111K miles on it. The previous owner had changed just one ignition coil(2nd coil from the front).After I bought the car I got the timing belt and water pump changed and the next day the check engine light turned on.
When I got the codes checked, it said the secondary air injection problems. I took it to the same mechanic I got the timing belt changed to fix the check engine light and he said there was a vacuum hose that he replaced and its fine.

But the check engine light came on again and problems started continuing. I am not sure if its the vacuum that is creating the problem. The initial movement of the car is not a problem the clutch is smooth, however after 2000 rpm, the rpm on tachometer just starts revving up during movement but there is no power transferred to the wheels. I smelt the asbestos burning smell a couple of time when the rpm went high. I am not sure if it is the turbo or the vacuum problem (from secondary air injection check engine code) or the clutch that is causing the issue. I dont feel the slipping of the clutch, but its only at higher rpm that the rpm reading just jumps higher (like revving during idle) without transferring any power to the wheels and this happens at all the 5 gears.

IS there a connection between timing belt and problem I am facing now. To add to this the mechanic changed the timing belt without removing the bumper and the radiator and other parts to access the front end of the engine. ( I had read the procedure of changing timing belt which is laborious and needs lots of parts to be taken out to reach to timing belt)

Can I get suggestions on how to deal with the issue??
Thank you!!!

lyleswk 04-26-2011 03:45 AM

Have you had the codes downloaded since the SAI work?

sachinsb 04-26-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by lyleswk (Post 24136156)
Have you had the codes downloaded since the SAI work?

Yes.. I even got it checked now. The code is 'P1141'
and this is the only code that has been popping up which is related to secondary air injection system issue.

I am driving a stick shift for the past 6 years and am pretty sure it is not a prolem with the clutch. however with the problem i have right now wearing out of the clutch is gonna happen for sure.
I also noticed today morning that I am not getting any hot air from the air vents.

Thank you.

ECS Tuning-Audi 04-26-2011 10:56 AM

Could be the coolant temperature sensor. Ive heard of these causing issues with cars running rough like you have described.

Jason