AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   brake pad sensor light stays on after new brakes.. help ? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/brake-pad-sensor-light-stays-after-new-brakes-help-2775145/)

tylersmith737 02-03-2010 06:16 PM

brake pad sensor light stays on after new brakes.. help ?

Hey,

So when I bought my car, the mechanic that did the brake job ( rotors,calipers,pads) clearly did not know there was a sensor for brake wear. I tried to see if I could clear it with my OBD II sensor, but that decided not to pick up the code. Do I REALLY have to take it in to the Audi dealer, or is there something I can look at on the car to fix this problem. Insight anyone ?

tylersmith737 02-03-2010 06:17 PM

also as an added note, this was brought to my attention when I picked up the vehicle , I had nothing to do with the brake job or the mechanic.

MikekiM@PureMS 02-03-2010 07:12 PM

Are you certain they used pads that had proper wear sensors built into them?

TitusvilleAudi 02-03-2010 07:18 PM

hey man, i have my break light on as well!
but when i had my brakes/rotors replaced, there was no plug to even plug that wear sensor into.. i guess my model of car didnt have it or something.(i have the earlier 99 a4)..

i'll recheck and see if the light has went out(car is still in the shop, i needed new wheel bearings to pass inspection)..
that, or some wires got corroded/ripped out somehow, and that could also be the problem.. but i know they are brand new brakes and rotors, so its just another phantom light to me.. you should be able to turn it off via- vagcom.

good luck!

AudiMick 02-04-2010 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by TitusvilleAudi (Post 23922054)
hey man, i have my break light on as well!
but when i had my brakes/rotors replaced, there was no plug to even plug that wear sensor into.. i guess my model of car didnt have it or something.(i have the earlier 99 a4)..

i'll recheck and see if the light has went out(car is still in the shop, i needed new wheel bearings to pass inspection)..
that, or some wires got corroded/ripped out somehow, and that could also be the problem.. but i know they are brand new brakes and rotors, so its just another phantom light to me.. you should be able to turn it off via- vagcom.

good luck!

I don't think you can turn off a safety warning with Vag.com. The fluid level also sets off that light.

TitusvilleAudi 02-05-2010 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by AudiMick (Post 23922326)
I don't think you can turn off a safety warning with Vag.com. The fluid level also sets off that light.

i had a full reservoir of DOT4. after i had bled my lines, replaced brakes and rotors(which were pretty bad) and pumped brake fluid into the master cylinders. i'll double check tomorrow when i start my brake break-ins. and see if it goes away.. no leaks in my lines/calipers, it could just be a phantom light.

if vag cant reset the safety warning, can it tell me what code is setting it off? and then go from there?

zymol75 04-13-2010 03:52 PM

The indicators (ie. washer fluid low, Brake pad wear indicator, low fuel warning,etc.)in the instrument cluster can be activated or deactivated by changing the coding for 17-Inst cluster, with the VAG-COM. Easy enough to do, just write down your original coding before you change anything so you can always go back to it if needed. you can email me there is a website that outlines the procedure and breaks down the coding options. zymol75@gmail.com.
I wont advertise it here. it is not my site. it is actually a site based in Europe.

Your coding is a 5 or 6 digit # that each placement means a selection.
for instance 12345. 1 may mean NAR.(north american region) If you change the coding to 22345. now you may have selected "rest-of world". This can mean that the digi readouts are now metric, etc. Get the idea? Every change can have implications that affect multiple systems.

For instance the VW Phaeton Inst Cluster has 3 possible codes. 00001, 00002, 00003,(I beleve this is acurate +/- 50%, research well before taking my word, It's been awhile since I've worked a Phaeton.) Anyway. Change this code, and it will allow the DRL's to be selected off. manually. But! It changes the "trunk valet lockout" button to a fog lamp switch. And the valet option doesn't exist where the fogs are a separate function.

So hope this helps someone.

Foxtrot14 09-06-2010 09:52 AM

I replaced all my brakes and rotors

and connected the wear sensors on the front two wheels (I believe thats all there are) and I still have a wear light. My parents dodge van has some way of pressing in the gas with the engine off like 3 times and turning something to reset it after this. Is there something special for a b5?

exequiel3k 09-07-2010 03:21 PM

Hello,
You can re-code using VAG.COM/VCDS-Lite to turn OFF the brake pad worn light.
I've done it and it's perfectly safe.

Also, make sure the mecanic who replaced your pads, replaced them with Pads that have the sensor. Sometimes, they will put generic pads to save money..
If your car is later 99, then your car should definitly have this feature..

Anyways, start by taking Off your wheel and look to see if you can see if your car has this feature.
Here is a ref. in case you don't know its location; http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2218737

Afterthat, check fluid level and get it scanned and ultimately...
Turn it Off via Vag.com/VCDS-Lite.
Good luck