AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   Power door locks don't work (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/power-door-locks-dont-work-2807435/)

Delvekio 06-11-2011 09:11 AM

Power door locks don't work

Hi everybody,
I just bought a '99 A4 2.8 Quattro. I'm new to Audi so I've got a lot of questions. I've only got one key, no remotes and the power door locks don't work. I can manually lock the passenger doors from the inside and lock the driver door with the key from the outside. I've scoured the forums and gotten all kinds of good information, but I guess I lack info like is this car equipped with a stock alarm and am I supposed to have a remote? I've read a great deal about the central locking pump but before I go for that could it just be a fuse or electrical issue in the door? The gas door remains unlocked as well.
Another stupid question: I've read in the manual about neat tricks you can do with the key like convenient roll down/up of the windows but this stuff is confusing when it doesn't work.

Any help is appreciated and thanks for taking the time to respond to something you've probably heard ten thousand times before.

Thank you!

4Driver4 06-11-2011 09:33 AM

If you are in the US, the car has a factory alarm and you should have a remote that is part of a switchblade key.

Delvekio 06-11-2011 10:01 AM

I am in the U.S. but no remote or switchblade key. Do I have to go the dealer or is there a cheaper solution?

mtroxel 06-12-2011 08:34 AM

Don't spend $$ on a remote till you get the power locks working. If you lock the driver's side door, everything else (including the gas door) should lock. In normal operation, you can hear the pump in the trunk behind the RR wheel. If you lock the driver's door and don't hear the pump, there's no point in buying a remote. You need to sort through that problem first.

CaptinGonads 06-12-2011 09:43 AM

I have a 2000 A4 2.8 with a the same problem. The graphite disks in my locking pump are shattered.

Delvekio 06-12-2011 12:15 PM

Okay I'll go check the pump first then. Thanks for the advice.

Delvekio 06-12-2011 01:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres my pump. The graphite disk looks intact but the electronics are a little worrisome.

Attachment 17698

Attachment 17697

CaptinGonads 06-12-2011 08:37 PM

There are three disks. The outer ones are not likely to shatter but the center one that actually handles the pumping is divided into four quadrants held at a weak center point. If the pump stil hums when you lock the driver door with the key and the alarm is activated then that center one is probably done for.

MTykhnenko 06-12-2011 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Delvekio (Post 24155974)
Heres my pump. The graphite disk looks intact but the electronics are a little worrisome.

There is too much corrosion. Easily fixable if you have a soldering iron and some isopropanal along with a old toothbrush. Clean off all the corrosion with the alcohol and tooth brush, then restore all damaged conduits by scratching their surface off and putting solder in between.

Delvekio 06-14-2011 04:53 PM

The disks are definitely shattered. But I still don't have power to the pump. Time to check some fuses.