AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   Intermittent Flickering DRL Headlights (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/intermittent-flickering-drl-headlights-2858267/)

soslower 12-11-2013 03:37 PM

Intermittent Flickering DRL Headlights

I have been experiencing this flickering of the DRL on my car. Anyone else have an issue with their DRL? And for some reason they are not as bright/white as before. I will post a video of it in a bit.

soslower 12-12-2013 02:58 PM

Here is a quick video... my phone ran out of space after i took this so i wasnt able to have a longer video. but u can see where the amber flickers in and out.

in2dwww 12-12-2013 03:11 PM

I don't see the flickering. When you have LED lights the DRL will dim when you turn the main lights on. Sometimes LED lights will show a flicker on camera because the refresh rates of the lights conflict with the frame rate of the video.

soslower 12-12-2013 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by in2dwww (Post 24518884)
I don't see the flickering. When you have LED lights the DRL will dim when you turn the main lights on. Sometimes LED lights will show a flicker on camera because the refresh rates of the lights conflict with the frame rate of the video.

i first noticed this when i was behind a car n saw the lights reflection from the truck's rear tailgate. i'll take a longer video to really show that it comes n goes when the DRL are just on.

Oscar2 12-12-2013 06:41 PM

When does it happen in that video? At the beginning or after you change the angle (at the 5 sec point)?

I think I see a reflection of something amber off the right hand side, at about 4 sec.

directorguy7 12-12-2013 08:27 PM

I think if you watch the video when he turns the lights back on. After the camera adjusts for the light and everything stabalizes you can see a quick flash of amber. Looks like there are other amber flashes during the on and off but it may be the camera adjusting.

Try taking the video again and turn off auto exposure, and set exposure to low. Everything will be dark, but the lights should show through even with a low exposure and we should be able to see the flicker easier.

soslower 12-13-2013 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Oscar2 (Post 24518921)
When does it happen in that video? At the beginning or after you change the angle (at the 5 sec point)?

I think I see a reflection of something amber off the right hand side, at about 4 sec.

Originally Posted by directorguy7 (Post 24518958)
I think if you watch the video when he turns the lights back on. After the camera adjusts for the light and everything stabalizes you can see a quick flash of amber. Looks like there are other amber flashes during the on and off but it may be the camera adjusting.

Try taking the video again and turn off auto exposure, and set exposure to low. Everything will be dark, but the lights should show through even with a low exposure and we should be able to see the flicker easier.

It's really hard to capture it with the iphone. The amber comes in and out and when the lights are on for an extended period of time, they become more pronounced. Almost to the point they look like police lights (not quite but its annoying me that much)

I plan on taking on bringing it up on my next service which is about 2 weeks out.

in2dwww 12-13-2013 07:28 AM

I see it now. Random segments of the amber turn signal led. If there's no turn signal the lights should not do that. I'm guessing there's a problem with the circuit board in the lamp unit. Is it only on the driver's side light unit?

soslower 12-13-2013 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by in2dwww (Post 24519065)
I see it now. Random segments of the amber turn signal led. If there's no turn signal the lights should not do that. I'm guessing there's a problem with the circuit board in the lamp unit. Is it only on the driver's side light unit?

it happens on both headlights. and goes off randomly. looks like my car is winking -=\

mdkv5 12-13-2013 09:22 AM

That looks like a short somewhere. That's not normal. I'd take it to the dealer.