AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   Map Question (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/map-question-2826299/)

fr8tdog 05-04-2012 01:42 PM

Map Question

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone enlighten me regarding the red / yellow colors on these secondary roads.. I am aware of the traffic integration with XM but these aren't covered roads.. I have deselected traffic info and these colors remain... also they are not part of the Google overlay. It seems to have absolutely no correlation to traffic conditions but for the life of me, I have no clue why they are colored differently ( or even at all since most other secondary roads aren't)..

PJRed2008 05-04-2012 01:50 PM

They are related to traffic, I have the same thing on mine. They're either part of Google Earth or hardcoded into the map data on the harddisk as I'm not using Sirius traffic.

weth 05-04-2012 01:55 PM

It is the overlay coming from the MMI maps. It has nothing to do with traffic, but type of road.

Red - Limited access Freeway
Yellow - primary surface street
White - secondary streets

I believe the logic will prefer Freeways and primary surface streets when recommending a route and try to use secondary roads only to get to and from a higher level road unless the estimated time penalty would be too great.

Seki 05-04-2012 02:14 PM

Now that we are talking about maps. Did anyone get the DVD with the maps?

DirkM 05-04-2012 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Seki (Post 24296046)
Now that we are talking about maps. Did anyone get the DVD with the maps?

Maps come on SD cards these days and must be activated online via Audi dealer. At least in theory...

Seki 05-04-2012 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US (Post 24296056)
Maps come on SD cards these days and must be activated online via Audi dealer. At least in theory...

Ok Thanks, just wanted to make sure they did not forget to give it to me. As all of my previous HDD base navigations came with a DVD.

fr8tdog 05-04-2012 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by weth (Post 24296042)
It is the overlay coming from the MMI maps. It has nothing to do with traffic, but type of road.

I believe the logic will prefer Freeways and primary surface streets when recommending a route and try to use secondary roads only to get to and from a higher level road unless the estimated time penalty would be too great.

Well that's kind of what i figured.. how in the heck did you find that out? I searched everywhere and came up with nothing..

Blackz06 05-04-2012 03:57 PM

Thanks weth for the info. I've always wondered the same thing.

PJRed2008 05-05-2012 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by weth (Post 24296042)

This does not agree with my map display. I drive a non-freeway 4 lane that is very busy during rush hour, it always shows as red. Once I get on the freeway, with much lower traffic, the freeway is blue while the exits/entrance loops are yellow.

Your logic seems good, just doesn't agree with my map, which reflects traffic density, although not real-time so it isn't worth much.

The G Man 05-05-2012 09:33 AM

I think when there is traffic info on the highway, it shows 4 colored lines instead of two.