AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-c7-platform-discussion-199/)
-   -   Tweaking the stock exhaust for a little more sound.... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-c7-platform-discussion-199/tweaking-stock-exhaust-little-more-sound-2859996/)

Vijay 01-18-2014 07:58 AM

Tweaking the stock exhaust for a little more sound....

So I have decided that I really like the overall tone of the stock exhaust. I just wish it was a little louder. Not much, just a little. This is my daily driver and "quiet cruiser" so it doesn't need to sound hard core. I have my M3 with M Performance exhaust for that.

With that in mind, does anyone know if just cutting out the front resonators would do the trick or would that introduce drone, and/or unpleasantness. I will spend the money on an aftermarket system, IF I NEED TO, but if not, then money saved is money saved. I have the B&O sound system, and it is so good that I really don't want any unpleasantness while cruising to interfere with that experience, but a little more aggressive tone when on the throttle would be nice.

Suggestions please.

gatorguy7 01-18-2014 09:28 AM

This is the difficulty I'm having too. I love the stock sound but just want it louder when I step on the peddle. I think deleted the resonators would certainly create drone. I think a muffler delete or cut outs would be the best option. But then you have the problem with CELs.

Vijay 01-18-2014 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by gatorguy7 (Post 24531123)
This is the difficulty I'm having too. I love the stock sound but just want it louder when I step on the peddle. I think deleted the resonators would certainly create drone. I think a muffler delete or cut outs would be the best option. But then you have the problem with CELs.

Anything that doesn't affect the oxygen sensors would not affect the CEL so cut outs or muffler delete will be okay. That might be just be too loud overall, however. Just wish the stock exhaust had been like 3-4 dB louder.

RobC 01-18-2014 10:12 AM

This is exactly my feeling too -- I love the tone of the stock exhaust and just want it a little louder. With all the folks getting aftermarket exhausts, maybe someone will take the time to experiment with cutting one up and trying some variations?? :)

S6Express 01-18-2014 11:28 AM

I'm in the same boat. Subscribed.

gatorguy7 01-18-2014 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Vijay (Post 24531135)
Anything that doesn't affect the oxygen sensors would not affect the CEL so cut outs or muffler delete will be okay. That might be just be too loud overall, however. Just wish the stock exhaust had been like 3-4 dB louder.

I thought if the mufflers and the valves were removed then they were throw CELs.

DNGRTOM 01-18-2014 12:22 PM

The day I took delivery of my '09 S5 I went straight to the shop to have the resonators cut out. It seemed to create a fuller [more complete?] exhaust note. I was OK with it until I ordered the AWE Race with the down pipes; that system screamed [in a good way and a bad way]...it was awesome but too loud.

My wife had a 2012 X6 with BMW's twin turbo V8 and currently she has a '14 CLS 550 with the MB TT V8.

I have noticed in both of those stock systems that the exhaust breaks in after 5k or so miles and starts to get a noticeably deeper/fuller sound on its own. Not sure if its true with Audi but I wouldn't be surprised.

Vijay 01-18-2014 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by gatorguy7 (Post 24531173)
I thought if the mufflers and the valves were removed then they were throw CELs.

The only feedback to the ECU from the exhaust system comes from the exhaust gas temp sensor (usually in the exhaust manifold) and the oxygen sensors before and after the primary catalytic convertors. This is why you can use almost any cat-back exhaust without issue. Both the Milltek and AWE exhausts, for instance, have no flap mechansim whatsoever.

mik34 01-18-2014 12:25 PM

I think you'd be happy with the AWE exhaust. It's very tame just cruising. Absolutely no drone at any driving speed/RPMs. And when you get on it, it's nice and growly. For me, who doesn't want something really loud, it's perfect. Not cheap, but worth the smile it puts on my face. Now if I could only get rid of this damn snow.

gatorguy7 01-18-2014 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vijay (Post 24531187)
The only feedback to the ECU from the exhaust system comes from the exhaust gas temp sensor (usually in the exhaust manifold) and the oxygen sensors before and after the primary catalytic convertors. This is why you can use almost any cat-back exhaust without issue. Both the Milltek and AWE exhausts, for instance, have no flap mechansim whatsoever.

Do you know what they do then with the wires running to the valves?