AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Extreme cold vs TDI (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/extreme-cold-vs-tdi-2859349/)

skl1 01-06-2014 03:58 PM

Extreme cold vs TDI

We got hit with the "polar vortex" (love how they come up with new names for bitterly cold temps- they didn't call it that 30 years ago when our oldest was born and it was -30) and we had temps of -15 to -20 BEFORE the wind chill. Gotta say I was a little nervous and took the F-150 to work today as the Q was going to sit outside all day. The cars are in a heated garage so starting is no issue but do worry about the vehicle sitting outside all day in that bitter cold. I'm in Iowa but bought the TDI in Wisconsin- was surprised they didn't recommend using any anti gel fluid when it gets this cold. I have some left over from my old F-250 diesel and figure it's not a bad idea.

Anyone living in the upper midwest have any issues?? And no smart ass comments from southerners as I'm heading to AZ soon to escape this, at least for a while!!

SDCEB 01-06-2014 04:00 PM

Best of luck to you! I'm in San Diego, 75 degrees and sunny. My two sons wish that they lived in a colder climate!

mhughett 01-06-2014 04:22 PM

I think as long as the diesel fuel has been "winterized", you shouldn't have to add anything else to the tank. Let's not forget that winters in Germany are not exactly balmy so I would think that Audi has engineering that will handle the cold weather we've been having. FWIW, our car sat outside in 0 degree weather overnight a couple of weeks ago in Illinois and started right up the next morning

Prospeeder 01-06-2014 04:53 PM

I wouldnt worry, they new TDIs are so advanced that it probably wouldnt even hesitate to start in the cold. It doesnt get that cold here, but even near 0 even older TDIs will start first turn of the key after it glows.

SeaBlue 01-06-2014 05:04 PM

Bitter cold here in AZ, 42 at night and 72 through out the day, no trouble starting 3.0 in the AM.

skl1 01-06-2014 06:41 PM

Thanks for the update Sea- I'm headed to north Scottsdale this weekend for a month so then I can rub it in...

JBDinTX 01-07-2014 12:44 AM

My cousin has a jetta tdi. They are ok. Been having -10 to -20 below in Colorado. No issues. They are to cheap to buy the anti-gel. I run the " power service " in all my diesel trucks and leave them plugged in. I am get surprised VW/Audi does not offer and engine block heater.

soonerfan 01-07-2014 05:08 AM

Minus 2 *F here yesterday morning and the high was 17*. Power Service added to tank last week in anticipation of the weather event and can happily report no issues starting or driving yesterday.

JKOlson 01-07-2014 05:34 AM

My new Q5 TDI passed its first extreme cold test here in the Milwaukee area yesterday. It sat outside in the office parking lot for over 10 hours in temperatures ranging -16 F to -13 F. After a delay of about 4 seconds instead of the usual cold-weather 2 seconds, it started like a champ! I have not used any additives.

soonerfan 01-07-2014 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by JKOlson (Post 24526579)
My new Q5 TDI passed its first extreme cold test here in the Milwaukee area yesterday. It sat outside in the office parking lot for over 10 hours in temperatures ranging -16 F to -13 F. After a delay of about 4 seconds instead of the usual cold-weather 2 seconds, it started like a champ! I have not used any additives.

Do your fuel retailers sell "Winter Diesel"? Here in Oklahoma they don't mention any seasonal additives....it's always just plain old low-sulphur fuel regardless of season.