AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Major complaint (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/major-complaint-2860166/)

bpp 01-21-2014 01:13 PM

Major complaint

2 major snow events I been through, windshield won't stay clear and ice forms, impeding the wipers swiping. Can't get the defrost hot enough. Is this a symptom of the diesel?

bob m 01-21-2014 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by bpp (Post 24532360)
2 major snow events I been through, windshield won't stay clear and ice forms, impeding the wipers swiping. Can't get the defrost hot enough. Is this a symptom of the diesel?

Well, I'm not too far from you and the little driving I did, I had the similar issue - ice forming on the blades and some ice on the windshield.
Perhaps if I had driven longer the front windshield defroster would have cleared the window better.

Bob

Reggie 01-21-2014 01:38 PM

Has not been a issue with our Q5. And we had some major snow and below zero weather and the car was parked outside overnight for a couple of weeks due to the work being done on the house.

acadianbob 01-21-2014 01:53 PM

There is a windshield defrost button. Are you using it? Also, turn your temp up.

bpp 01-21-2014 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by acadianbob (Post 24532385)
There is a windshield defrost button. Are you using it? Also, turn your temp up.

yes & yes...80 deg temp on the MMI, cranked the fan speed to 11/12 max setting.
I cannot believe I am the only driver with this experience.
The first time this happened around Christmas, I stopped several times within an hour to try clearing the blades.

johncaravello 01-21-2014 03:40 PM

Make sure that you have super winter blend windshield washer fluid in it and blast the wipers and windshield with the heated fluid. The wipers will de-ice.

Kaitlyn2004 01-21-2014 04:09 PM

I've found it QUITE difficult to keep my window clear as well, to be honest. Very easily worse compared to my previous Accord...

Have winter fluid and I feel like I am going through it like water - I need to spray LOTS so that it will completely clear - only to get all ruined and uncleanable a short time later...

Transfer 01-21-2014 04:26 PM

Did I read somewhere that we have heated sprayer nozzles or something? Anyone know the details?

Q5 Bob 01-21-2014 04:34 PM

I wonder if this is a HVAC setting issue of some kind? A round here we've had a brutal winter so far. Extremely cold, way more snow than normal and no problem with the Q5 to date. I haven't done anything with the settings so no idea what it might be.

stash64 01-21-2014 04:34 PM

I've not had any issues with my 2014 2.0T in Wisconsin, but I have found it odd that I have yet to notice any air coming from the two center vents in the dash this winter. I use "Auto" mode all the time with a 72F temperature setting. The two side dash vents put out plenty of air and so do the windshield vents. I've assumed that there is some logic built in that re-directs air away from the center dash vents and to the windshield vents when the temps are cold.

This is just conjecture, but I wonder if those with problems are seeing lots of center dash vent flow and not enough windshield vent flow. Perhaps there is a software update that would help.