AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   Full LED head light fix $2,200 !?!?! part only (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/full-led-head-light-fix-%242-200-part-only-2856128/)

audifiend 10-30-2013 12:17 PM

Full LED head light fix $2,200 !?!?! part only

Beware new buyers. Had a branch fall out of tree in a windstorm that took out one of my Full LED headlights. just cracked the plastic, light still worked. The New Part (You have to replace the entire enclosure if the plastic cracks) is $2,200. I had insurance, but once out of warranty if this light ever failed You will be hosed. Also 6-7 years down the road they might total your car if the lights get bashed in a fender bender since 2 lights would be over $5k to replace + body work will add up fast...

I have the old one since it works, I'll get the plastic epoxied and reuse or sell to someone who can't afford $2,400 with labor to fix one of these.

Silver42 10-30-2013 12:28 PM

I have to ask - this is new news to anyone? I think that is not a Full-LED owner that does not know what the costs of these units are.

so....ok!

takeaway being no front-enders - do not park under trees or anything for that matter - keep car stored in a cement bunker and never use it - just in case.

Scott

keithl 10-30-2013 02:09 PM

I'll bet there are plenty of people that have not thought about the repair costs of the lights. Plenty of ignorant buyers.

miwung 10-30-2013 05:05 PM

Can you go through home owners insurance or some type of hazard insurance. That's nuts man. Sorry to hear that.

snagitseven 10-30-2013 07:31 PM

Auto collision or comprehensive insurance would cover damage to the LED headlights after any deductible. Extended warranties don't cover them if they were to fail.
And it's not just the LED lights. There's plenty of other stuff that can break on the C7 that would cost $2K or more to repair. Most folks who would invest in a $55-65K car most likely would (or should) be aware that these newer luxury cars are complex and ain't cheap to repair.
The good news is all of the Audi's LEDs should last as long as the car with no "bulb" replacements necessary.

keithl 10-31-2013 03:06 AM

It is not just $55K+ cars, most modern cars have plenty of very expensive parts in them. The navi and head units in most cars cost a fortune, but are not likely to need replacing. I keep a low deductible on my comprehensive since things like windshields and the mentioned tree hitting the car would be cover under comprehensive vs. collision and comprehensive is usually less expensive and it does not usually cost mush to drop the deductible. I keep $1K deductible on collision, but $0 on comprehensive.

s5blitzer 10-31-2013 04:21 AM

What about replacing/fixing damaged aluminium body parts? I hear not all collision shops are certified to fix these. Since the accident counts are so low, collision shops are not ready or willing to spend the money to re-tool their facilities.

in2dwww 10-31-2013 04:58 AM

Why are we discussing the cost of parts in the open?

snagitseven 10-31-2013 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by in2dwww (Post 24504201)
Why are we discussing the cost of parts in the open?

Possibly because the OP's thread start post title was "Full LED head light fix $2,200 !?!?! part only" and his apparent shock at the high cost of the part?

in2dwww 10-31-2013 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24504208)
Possibly because the OP's thread start post title was "Full LED head light fix $2,200 !?!?! part only" and his apparent shock at the high cost of the part?

So how hard would it be to smash the driver's window, pop the hood, and be a few grand richer?