AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/)
-   -   Heater core - Ok to drive if broken? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/heater-core-ok-drive-if-broken-2752368/)

Vegas-S4 05-21-2009 10:08 AM

Heater core - Ok to drive if broken?

I think my heater core is out. Is there any problem with driving the car with a bad heater core? I live in Las Vegas and its summer, so I don't need heat right now.

I tried flushing and bleeding it, but no luck.

donromani 05-21-2009 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Vegas-S4 (Post 23792083)
I think my heater core is out. Is there any problem with driving the car with a bad heater core? I live in Las Vegas and its summer, so I don't need heat right now.

I tried flushing and bleeding it, but no luck.

broken how? Is it leaking or just fried? Either way I think you're fine to drive it as long as you don't run the heater.

Vegas-S4 05-21-2009 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by donromani (Post 23792135)
broken how? Is it leaking or just fried? Either way I think you're fine to drive it as long as you don't run the heater.

It is fried.

r1de23 05-22-2009 03:57 AM

are you not getting any heat inside the car? i wouldnt think it would matter, unless coolant is leaking..

dr13 05-28-2009 05:28 PM

I've had cars where the heater cores started leaking.If thats the case you can bypass it by taking the hoses off and connecting them together.not sure if will work on the s4,but it has worked for me in the past.at least untill you can fix it correctly

jumpnofear 05-29-2009 10:15 AM

Is it leaking? If so I am not sure how you can run AC w/o picking up some of the mist. I could taste it when I licked my lips while driving my car w/ a leaking heater core. I wonder if it effects the ability of the cooling system to be ender full pressure as well - I always thought that was part of the reason for bypassing - per the previous response. It is such a pain they should make them out of something indestructible imo. When the AC evaporator went on the S4 I had them replace the heater core while in there just to never have to go through it again.

dr13 05-29-2009 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jumpnofear (Post 23796242)
Is it leaking? If so I am not sure how you can run AC w/o picking up some of the mist. I could taste it when I licked my lips while driving my car w/ a leaking heater core. I wonder if it effects the ability of the cooling system to be ender full pressure as well - I always thought that was part of the reason for bypassing - per the previous response. It is such a pain they should make them out of something indestructible imo. When the AC evaporator went on the S4 I had them replace the heater core while in there just to never have to go through it again.

Thats a good question,I never had any problems with the pressure increase affecting the cooling system.I guess it could be problem if any of the hoses or seals were already weak.But I have only done this as temp fix to a daily driver and on a weekender that was setup more towards light to light racing.