AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MK 1 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/)
-   -   How do our Q7's handle in the snow? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/how-do-our-q7s-handle-snow-2691063/)

AutoUnionQ7 10-14-2007 04:25 PM

How do our Q7's handle in the snow?

Since snow is approaching in a couple months, I was wondering how our Q7s handle. Does the quattro handle like it should? Better then the MDX or Xdrive BMWs? I have the 18inch wheels with All Seasons on them. Will they be good enough?

MarkItZero 10-14-2007 05:32 PM

Yes, it will be good enough

perhaps better than good enough. I have the 18" wheels with all-seasons and went over several mountain passes last winter and it was no different than my A6 or A4 before them. I'm hoping that the xdrive is okay as my fiancee just got a 328xi and we plan on using it for some of the same reoccurring trips.

Some might recommend winter tires. Yes, they are better than all-seasons but how much better is the question. Having used an all-season/winter setup on my A6 I can say that it wasn't enough of a difference to warrant the cost of the winter tires, the quattro and ESP really make this vehicle shine.

Joe-2008-S-Line 10-15-2007 04:24 AM

I wonder how my 20's are going to do

We picked up our '08 s-line last week and the new s-line wheels are absolutely gorgeous. However, even with all season skins, I wonder how the low profile tires will do in the New England winter.

Jusforfun 10-15-2007 05:59 AM

Pics of new 20" 08 S-Line?...yes please:-)

vr430 10-15-2007 06:04 AM

They do just fine in MN. Are NE winters that different?

Just remember - you cannot beat the laws of physics.

Maui19 10-15-2007 02:16 PM

Re: I wonder how my 20's are going to do

I wonder, too--I'm also in New England. I normally run dedicated snows in the winter, but we plan to spend time in the South this winter. My OEM tires (Goodyear Eagle LS2) are complete crap according to everything I've read. Between that and the 20" low profile times, I'm thinking I'm in for some adventures this winter.

Paul3.2A4avant 10-16-2007 07:45 AM

The 20's will do OK, but winter tires will make a difference.

Only drove the 20" Contis through one snowfall and they were pretty good, probably because the Q7 is so heavy. Winter tires will always provide better braking and cornering on ice. I also have the beautiful (and expensive) s-line wheels which is why I bought winter wheels & tires. I want to save them from road salt and NE potholes. I bought 18" AT Italia wheels & Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires from Tire rack.

Clues 10-17-2007 07:56 AM

"Good enough"

It's all about priorities. There is no doubt that dedicated winter tires will out perform A/S tires in snow/slush/ice conditions. Period. Unfortunately, you won't experience the performance difference unless you are in a situation where you wish you weren't.... Kinda like insurance - you never need it until you do.

Will all seasons with quattro get you from point A to point B in most conditions? Sure. Will you be thankful that you invested in dedicated winter tires when you are driving through a blizzard with the kids asleep in the back seat? Or trying to avoid an accident on an icy decline? Absolutely.

If you consider the value/assets (i.e., life and car) that are 100% dependent of the four small patches of rubber that keeps your car stuck to the road, I think it's a no brainer. Sure tire/all-season technology has gotten much better over the years, but manufacturers cannot solve the diametrically opposed consumer priorities of ride comfort, treadwear, dry performance, wet performance, and snow/ice performance with a single product (okay, maybe for states below the Mason-Dixon line...)