AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Please Help. Still Battling Noise (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/please-help-still-battling-noise-2826401/)

milellie111 05-07-2012 05:50 AM

Please Help. Still Battling Noise

Would like to know if i'm alone in what i'm experiencing or if this is normal. I have continued to hear a random pop/creak/click noise in the rear coming from both sides(sounds like the rear doors). It is pretty prounouced, and happens quite frequently when first driving the car. Can't really determine if it's temperature related because is seems to happen hot or cool, even though i believe it to be happening more when it's hot and the car has sat. Can't really say for sure if uneven road surfaces or bumps are causing this issue, because i'll be cruising along on even pavement and it will happen.

At first i thought it was the side sunshades, but it happens with them up or down. Now i believe it is the rear interior door panels( the black plastic right below the window) because i have pressed on it and it makes a similar noise, although i can't narrow it down to it being the culprit. When pressing on the top of the interior door panels in the rear driver side, it flexes a little and makes a noise of dry plastic. Is it even supposed to flex?I even notice that some pieces on the door panels do not fit as snug/flush as other cars i've seen(ie. the aluminum silver colored strip that goes along the panels). I've bought this to the attention of my dealer twice and of course when they go for a test drive they can't diagnose it or hear anything. I don't think they are lying because sometimes it happens, and sometimes it doesn't, but 90 percent of the time it does. I even sat in the back seat while my wife drove and i didn't hear it, but whenever i drive and the music is down or off, i hear it and it drives me crazy. Every 15-30 seconds or so there is a "POP,CLICK" coming from one door, then a few seconds later it can be heard on the other door which sounds like the sunshade clasps, but could be the actual door panels. Could the rubber/plastic door panel pieces dry out and possibly need lubrication?

Has anyone dealt with this issue in the A8? By the way, mines an 07 A8L with 51,000 miles on it. Bought it certified with 48,000 miles so it should not have been in any accident.
Have any of you noticed random creaks/pops from the interior of the A8 while driving? Please be honest as this may be something that everyone experiences and is normal and not an issue.

Thanks for your advice/responses.

mishar 05-07-2012 06:40 AM

I can hear some cracks when I am going out my garage what involves some body twisting, but I think it is normal for a 7 years old car. Plastic shrinks and allows for a small shifts that creates some sound. In your case interesting is that you can't hear it when you are sitting at the back. Put somebody else in the back and check if you hear it while driving. If not than it can be your seat.

Satch0922 05-08-2012 04:42 PM

It's the plastic flap/cover on the rear door for the shades.

milellie111 05-09-2012 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Satch0922 (Post 24297596)
It's the plastic flap/cover on the rear door for the shades.

Thanks for the responses so far. That's exactly what it sounds like. Does yours do the same thing? Is it normal or is it something that can be fixed?

K9COP 05-09-2012 08:25 AM

I know it's a drastic solution, but...

Can you remove the flap/door panel to eliminate anything? Or even just tape up the screen covers to prevent movement temporarily to eliminate them?

K9

Originally Posted by milellie111 (Post 24297759)
Thanks for the responses so far. That's exactly what it sounds like. Does yours do the same thing? Is it normal or is it something that can be fixed?

Mister Bally 05-09-2012 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by K9COP (Post 24297847)
Can you remove the flap/door panel to eliminate anything? Or even just tape up the screen covers to prevent movement temporarily to eliminate them?

K9

When I had a missing spring, I would either keep the shade up or just pull it out a half inch (okay, about 1cm for you Metric fans) and let it hang there.

No springs sold by Audi, Buy a new a$$embly. I fabricated one myself using an old electromechanical pinball machine relay tension spring.

milellie111 05-10-2012 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 24297881)
When I had a missing spring, I would either keep the shade up or just pull it out a half inch (okay, about 1cm for you Metric fans) and let it hang there.

No springs sold by Audi, Buy a new a$$embly. I fabricated one myself using an old electromechanical pinball machine relay tension spring.

Did the missing spring you had cause the noise issue like i am having?

Mister Bally 05-10-2012 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by milellie111 (Post 24298199)
Did the missing spring you had cause the noise issue like i am having?

Yes. Lift up the flaps on each side's shade assembly. They should mirror each other. Look to see if both sides have two or three springs.