AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk2) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk2-discussion-120/)
-   -   Hit curb - sad day :( (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk2-discussion-120/hit-curb-sad-day-2826417/)

AudinCanada 05-07-2012 08:32 AM

Hit curb - sad day :(

Hi guys - took a corner a bit too fast yesterday, hit a patch of sand and slid into a curb in my brand new TT RS. It looked as though the front left axle broke. The car would not start afterwards (which I found odd - I'm hoping there's a sensor which detected an issue with the axle/wheel that prevented the car from starting).

I called Audi roadside assistance who were very helpful. The car was towed to the nearest dealership free of charge. They indicated the police might be called and this was up to the discretion of the tow truck driver (he chose not to).

Eye opening experience. We're driving amazing machines with a lot of technology to keep us on the road, but it's no match for careless driving. Fortunately nobody was hurt. (There was a tree up on the curb - had the car jumped the curb it would've been a lot worse). I'm sick to my stomach.

I have the Audi total care package which will cover the damage to the rim. I spoke briefly with the body shop tech (who was going to hoist the car up and take the wheel off this afternoon to assess the damage), and his first thought was broken axel + suspension damage.

I'm not sure at what threshold I should consider running the rest of the costs through insurance.

AudinCanada 05-07-2012 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture. There is no damage to the car other than this (from what I can tell).

AudiQ5sleeper 05-07-2012 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by AudinCanada (Post 24296953)
Here is a picture. There is no damage to the car other than this (from what I can tell).

lesson learned? now drive slow!! lol it's really not worth the trouble and wait just for speeding. Save the speed on the track. Be safe next time.

AudinCanada 05-07-2012 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper (Post 24297013)
lesson learned? now drive slow!! lol it's really not worth the trouble and wait just for speeding. Save the speed on the track. Be safe next time.

Sound advice.

$5100 CDN + 15% tax to repair. There goes this and next years' vacations.

They need to replace the rim, tire, fender, wheel bearing, knuckle, strut, lower control arm, ball joint, and shield apparently.

AudiQ5sleeper 05-07-2012 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by AudinCanada (Post 24297041)
Sound advice.

$5100 CDN + 15% tax to repair. There goes this and next years' vacations.

They need to replace the rim, tire, fender, wheel bearing, knuckle, strut, lower control arm, ball joint, and shield apparently.

it sure does get pricey and time consuming. and your pretty lucky no one was around. They would of been hurt. doesnt hurt to take it slow while driving. now the car will nevere feel the same

YSS 05-08-2012 05:00 AM

Insurance doesn't cover the cost?

AudinCanada 05-08-2012 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by YSS (Post 24297342)
Insurance doesn't cover the cost?

It would've (with a $1000 deductible), however with an at fault accident the cost of insurance would increase by somewhere between $880/year and $3400/year for 3-6 years, depending on the mood of the underwriter at the next renewal (currently have no accidents and no speeding tickets, so the discounts for the clean driving record would disappear, which is very costly). Makes more sense just to pay it.

AudiQ5sleeper 05-08-2012 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by AudinCanada (Post 24297352)
It would've (with a $1000 deductible), however with an at fault accident the cost of insurance would increase by somewhere between $880/year and $3400/year for 3-6 years, depending on the mood of the underwriter at the next renewal (currently have no accidents and no speeding tickets, so the discounts for the clean driving record would disappear, which is very costly). Makes more sense just to pay it.

not sure how Canada insurance policy works. Over here if we are at fault and damage city property our insurance premium will go up automatically.

pay a body shop to fix the damage saves you alot more than to have 3400 a year for 3-6yrs.

Plan_Man 05-08-2012 05:38 AM

Ouch. Glad to hear no injuries. If you're like me, you will be one very unhappy camper until you're back in your own saddle!

I say drive it like you stole it, or else you bought the wrong damn car. Just pick and choose your heavy-foot locations wisely!

JimInSF 05-08-2012 05:59 AM

Interesting that you say the Audi care package will pay for the wheel - I have the tire & wheel coverage and it covers road hazards like a wheel denting pothole or flat, but I thought it said it would *not* cover damage from curbing the wheels.