AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-c7-platform-discussion-199/)
-   -   Suspension settings for winter driving (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-c7-platform-discussion-199/suspension-settings-winter-driving-2860449/)

Vijay 01-26-2014 09:15 AM

Suspension settings for winter driving

So I just popped a bubble into the sidewall of my one month old Dunlop Winter Sport after smacking into a decent sized pothole. I am no air suspension expert, so my question is this:

Is the suspension more compliant at soaking up hits like this if it is raised or in comfort mode? I was in dynamic mode when this happened.

Thanks.

tenspeed 01-26-2014 10:37 AM

The raised position will allow for more wheel travel.

60614allroad 01-26-2014 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by tenspeed (Post 24534367)
The raised position will allow for more wheel travel.

True, but in my experience (on my RS7) the ride is no softer in the raised position. On my Allroad, the ride is actually firmer when raised.

DeerHunter 01-26-2014 12:24 PM

More wheel travel means the suspension can help absorb a jolt that might otherwise bend your wheel. I drive in raised mode in winter almost all the time. Better in terms of clearing ruts, too.

gatorguy7 01-26-2014 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 60614allroad (Post 24534381)
True, but in my experience (on my RS7) the ride is no softer in the raised position. On my Allroad, the ride is actually firmer when raised.

In the S6, the dynamic mode is the firmest setting and lowest setting as well. Comfort is the softest setting and highest and will allow the most wheel travel so the rim doesn't absorb as much of the impact.

DD1546 01-26-2014 08:24 PM

Comfort setting

Originally Posted by gatorguy7 (Post 24534403)
In the S6, the dynamic mode is the firmest setting and lowest setting as well. Comfort is the softest setting and highest and will allow the most wheel travel so the rim doesn't absorb as much of the impact.

Comfort is definitely softer than Dynamic. I frequently keep it there and just nudge the shift into S when I feel the need to accelerate. I am not sure that will help much with pothole damage to tires. I blew one of my OEM summer tires on a pothole.

HyperS4 01-27-2014 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by gatorguy7 (Post 24534403)
Comfort is the softest setting and highest and will allow the most wheel travel so the rim doesn't absorb as much of the impact.

Comfort and Auto are at the same height setting. Comfort is however softer than Auto.

mikec7s6 01-28-2014 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by DeerHunter (Post 24534391)
More wheel travel means the suspension can help absorb a jolt that might otherwise bend your wheel. I drive in raised mode in winter almost all the time. Better in terms of clearing ruts, too.

if you hit something hard enough to bubble your tire or bend your wheel, i don't think it matters what setting you choose, its going to bend or bubble regardless.

DeerHunter 01-28-2014 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by mikec7s6 (Post 24535059)
if you hit something hard enough to bubble your tire or bend your wheel, i don't think it matters what setting you choose, its going to bend or bubble regardless.

Sorry, that doesn't even pass the common sense test. If you jump off a six foot wall, are you better off bending your legs when you land? Of course it won't matter what you do if you jump off a ten-story building, but then not every pothole is the vehicular equivalent of a ten-story building.