AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi allroad (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/)
-   -   Starter motor help need ASAP (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/starter-motor-help-need-asap-2854642/)

Redmask09 10-01-2013 02:16 AM

Starter motor help need ASAP

Hello all I've recently got the following a6 allroad 2.5 tdi on a 2001 ...

Now today I've taken the front end off

Alternator is out and I've taken one bolt out the starter motor.... However my problem is the 2nd bolt ...
Has I'm looking at it all I can see is the bolt thread... I've got under the car and can't seem to find a way to get into get the second bolt out....

I really don't want to make more work for self ... How can I get the bolt out from underneath or anyway tbh starter got to come out one way or another..

Thanks very much

Danny

silverd2 10-01-2013 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Redmask09 (Post 24493598)

Alternator is out and I've taken one bolt out the starter motor.... However my problem is the 2nd bolt ...
Has I'm looking at it all I can see is the bolt thread... I've got under the car and can't seem to find a way to get into get the second bolt out....

I really don't want to make more work for self ... How can I get the bolt out from underneath or anyway tbh starter got to come out one way or another..

Thanks very much

Danny

Have never done this job myself. But here's Bentley's procedure on a 2.7T US model...no TDi Allroads over here.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...f.jpg~original

Redmask09 10-01-2013 03:40 AM

hello thank you very much for the photo...

the problem ive got is i cant access the bolt from the transmission side...

the top bolt... has looking at it from front of car all i see is the thread...

i need to no how to get to the bolt from transmission side ?

danny

amiram 10-01-2013 03:54 AM

starter (AKE engine 2.5 TDI)

Thanks very much

Danny

Move the lock carrier to the service position end remove the Mechanical fan With two 32 mm wrench, Covers,Alternator Belt and the Alternator, Then you can dismantle the second bolt. (Quoted from ELSA WIN).

amiram 10-01-2013 04:14 AM

The first bolt

Thanks very much

Danny

The first bolt: You need to disassemble the Leave rear noise insulation (Underside of the vehicle), Then you see it

Kneale Brownson 10-01-2013 05:48 AM

Thanks very much

Danny

The starter has a through hole for the bolt with the nut on it and a threaded hole for the bolt with the threads, both of which you see from the front. Both get to the starter through the transmission flange. The heads of both bolts are reached from underneath by feeling up along the bell housing. On the AR, you need to have the belly shields removed.

Old_School_Audi 10-01-2013 06:14 AM

The upper bolt is accessed from the transmission side. Remove the right front tire/wheel assembly. Go in through the wheel well opening forward of the axle shaft. Access to the bolt head is very difficult. Sockets didn't work for me. I had to use short wrenches tandemed up to get enough leverage.

All of this is assuming the TDI bellhousing is the same as the 2.7T

Redmask09 10-01-2013 06:19 AM

Thanks everyone...

So if take drivers wheel off I should be able to get to it from that side...

What did you use to get it off ?

Old_School_Audi 10-01-2013 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Redmask09 (Post 24493657)
What did you use to get it off ?

A high level of mechanical apptitude and a tool set built up over30yrs.

Seriously, you may have to cut/bend/weld/modify standard wrenches to remove this one bolt. The Bentley does nottell you about the patience and ingenuity needed to work on our Audi's. There is a reason why these cost so much when repairs are needed.

Redmask09 10-03-2013 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Old_School_Audi (Post 24493677)
A high level of mechanical apptitude and a tool set built up over30yrs.

Seriously, you may have to cut/bend/weld/modify standard wrenches to remove this one bolt. The Bentley does nottell you about the patience and ingenuity needed to work on our Audi's. There is a reason why these cost so much when repairs are needed.

Thanks for the advice but I managed to do it with a 16mm and ratchet ?
No need for making tools .....

First bolt access from front of car ...

Second bolt drivers wheel and arch off .. Straight forward access ...

Thanks