AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/)
-   -   Audio upgrade A6: best aftermarket solution? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/audio-upgrade-a6-best-aftermarket-solution-2759469/)

ss_blake 08-08-2009 06:37 PM

Audio upgrade A6: best aftermarket solution?

I am buying a 2010 A6 next week, unfortunetly you cannot add the upgraded Bose Audio to the Special Edition package of this car. So i'm getting the stock audio which sounded mediocre.

What is the best way to do an aftermarket audio upgrade? I would like to retain the MMI/head unit etc as this is core to the car's operation.

Will you achieve much improvement if an audio shop adds a subwoofer and swaps in better speakers? Is a new amp recommended? Can you add all of this on to the existing head unit?

LucFuture 08-08-2009 07:55 PM

What do you mean by "special edition?"

ss_blake 08-08-2009 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by LucFuture (Post 23832693)
What do you mean by "special edition?"

Special Edition is new for 2010. Much lower price point to incorporate a lot of the stuff from the Prestige trim + S-line option (ex S-line exterior, better tires/wheel, rear camera, sport suspension, push start, aluminum brushes interior instead of wood etc..). You basically save $7000 but unfortunetly you can't add Bose or Nav to it

ljaudi 08-18-2009 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by ss_blake (Post 23832657)
I am buying a 2010 A6 next week, unfortunetly you cannot add the upgraded Bose Audio to the Special Edition package of this car. So i'm getting the stock audio which sounded mediocre.

What is the best way to do an aftermarket audio upgrade? I would like to retain the MMI/head unit etc as this is core to the car's operation.

Will you achieve much improvement if an audio shop adds a subwoofer and swaps in better speakers? Is a new amp recommended? Can you add all of this on to the existing head unit?

I have an 05 a6 that came with the bose stereo. I wasn't really impressed with the stock bose system so I had aftermarket speakers, sub, and amplifier installed. I have hertz speakers, audison amp, and jl audio sub. My new system sounds amazing. I highly recommend it. If you want any more info just let me know.

KevinGary 08-18-2009 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ss_blake (Post 23832694)
You basically save $7000 but unfortunetly you can't add Bose or Nav to it

I guess you have to give up something for $7,000. I am sure that you can find something for less than $7,000.

r1racer 08-19-2009 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by ljaudi (Post 23838113)
I have an 05 a6 that came with the bose stereo. I wasn't really impressed with the stock bose system so I had aftermarket speakers, sub, and amplifier installed. I have hertz speakers, audison amp, and jl audio sub. My new system sounds amazing. I highly recommend it. If you want any more info just let me know.

You aren't impressed with the stock Bose??? I thought the Harmon Kardon in my range was good until I heard this one. It literally is loud enough (with the windows down) to hurt your ears and seems pretty crisp to me. Best bose I've heard. They sound like **** in the caddilacs and nissans though.

ljaudi 08-19-2009 06:10 AM

The bose system is ok, but in my experience bose speakers tend to degrade in quality over time while high end speakers usually get better the more they are used. Don't get me wrong, the bose can definitely sound good, but I enjoy my custom system so much more than the bose. Have you heard the Bang & Olufsen system that is in the A8/S8 and the A5/S5. I've never had the chance to hear this system and have always wondered how it compares to the bose system. Anyone know?

major_major 08-19-2009 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by ljaudi (Post 23838411)
The bose system is ok, but in my experience bose speakers tend to degrade in quality over time while high end speakers usually get better the more they are used. Don't get me wrong, the bose can definitely sound good, but I enjoy my custom system so much more than the bose. Have you heard the Bang & Olufsen system that is in the A8/S8 and the A5/S5. I've never had the chance to hear this system and have always wondered how it compares to the bose system. Anyone know?

I recently drove a '09 Q7 with a Bang and Olufsen system, and it's a step above the Bose. It's not head and shoulders above the Bose, but it's just cleaner sounding. I also recently drove an '09 A4 that had the stock stereo system, and that was a POS.

whit3Knight 11-01-2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ljaudi (Post 23838113)

I would like to know all the details ljaudi. I recently purchased an 06 A6 with the Bose system and I'm not impressed. It sounds alright in surround mode but its nothing compared to my previous vehicles aftermarket JL Audio system. I'm very curious as to what lengths I must go through to seamlessly do this on my A6. Can you give me the run down?

Youngmoney 11-05-2011 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by r1racer (Post 23838396)
You aren't impressed with the stock Bose??? I thought the Harmon Kardon in my range was good until I heard this one. It literally is loud enough (with the windows down) to hurt your ears and seems pretty crisp to me. Best bose I've heard. They sound like **** in the caddilacs and nissans though.

I agree, my 08' Range Rover Sport has a Harmon Kardon system and my Audi Bose system blows it out the water!