Pacific Northwest Discussion

Registering a car I bought in Cali... what do I need to bring to the DMV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registering a car I bought in Cali... what do I need to bring to the DMV?

I've bought cars out of state before, but I can't remember what I had to bring... and there always seems to be that one thing you need but don't have when you stroll in there and try to get your registration...

Car was owned by a private party with a loan. Loan is now paid off, and the new title is in the process of being issued (takes a while).

Thanks.<ul><li><a href="http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/transferprivate.html">http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/transferprivate.html</a></li></ul>
Old 02-19-2009, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Bill of sale and lots of money, drivers lic. and it probably wouldn't hurt to bring the title
Old 02-19-2009, 12:50 AM

Default So so true on the lotsa money part -- WA state sales tax FTMFL, usually taxed at some value more

more than what than what you paid for it.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:06 AM

Default Yup, happened to me

Bought my Toyota truck private party Laguna Beach (actually the seller lived next door to K Bryant)... brought title and bill of sale... they have X value on car in their system and you pay taxes off of that.

The value they had in the system was about 10% more than what I actually paid for it... the rep allowed me to go to edmunds.com of kelly blue book, print out a declared value there.. so i got it within a hundred or two of my actual value by adjusting the condition of the car from mint (which it was) to fuqn disgusting.

Estimate the tax to be over 9%... I did it in Kirkland where I live.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I still don't get why you have to pay taxes a second time on a car..

The first owner paid sales tax when they bought it (most places)

You buy anything else used 2nd party there is no USE tax on it (that is what WA calls it)

I think it is a load of crap and is double taxation...

I actually wrote to the State Dept of Revenue about this and the robot that answered me couldn't give me any reason other than this is the way it is in WA... Couldn't explain why the state thinks it can claim USE tax on a used car but not a used TV, camera, Bicycle etc.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Twice now I've had cars that I bought for well under what WA thinks they are worth-there is a form..

you can fill out that the seller has to sign that basically says "this is really what I paid for the car, and this is why"

In one of my cases, I bought my S4 when gas was at it's highest point ever! :-)

They don't guarantee that they will honor the price listed, but they did for me.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default at least we don't have to pay property tax for just owning a car.

a lot of other states do this in addition to requiring you to pay sales tax on a second hand car.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've used that form before too... had to state a bunch of crap wrong...

although the price I was stating was really what I paid... another time I just had to print some ads from craigslist and autotrader proving that my cars purchase price was somewhat inline with the market price. I will have the same problem with what I bought too I think, as KBB/Edmunds show alot higher value than the market...
Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do I need a notarized odometer statement signed and notarized by both parties?

I've never had to submit one of those before...
Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 AM

Default I showed up with my Bill of Sale

on my Oregon-purchased A8 and they honored it without any question, and even took off the amount for the extended warranty. This was at the downtown Seattle office. Real-world values have fallen faster than kbb and nada can keep up. If you get into an argument, maybe just walk away and come back when someone else is there?

Kevin

Quick Reply: Registering a car I bought in Cali... what do I need to bring to the DMV?