Pacific Northwest Discussion

Crappy Oregon Gas and name brand stations

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy Oregon Gas and name brand stations

Anyone have experience of buying a tank of name brand premium gas, Chevron or Shell, and within a short time have you ride start bucking a backfiring?

A few years ago I filled up at the Chevron on NE Sandy and 45th and noticed my engine running poorly. Took it to the dealer and they ended up having to drain the tank. Last week filled up at the same place and same thing happened. Previous car was a 4Runner, now have an A3.

Anyone else have a station they avoid?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Default My folks dealt with a long string of issues from "bad gas syndrome" after using Arco.

But I have never heard/experienced anything like that from the more respectable stations.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 PM

Default I've had issues with Fred Meyer and Safeway gas (years ago).

No issues with name brand stations. I stick with Chevron and Shell now.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 PM

Default I think the problem is stations with low turnover on premium fuels

For instance, Chevron stations in less tony parts of town. I know the one by my house in Milwaukie probably doesn't go through much if any premium fuel, so I've stopped filling up there to avoid old gas. If they don't sell it often, it just sits there in the tanks. I wouldn't doubt the same is true over on Sandy in NE.

I've started getting mine in Lake Oswego where I know they turn over their premium stocks much more frequently.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I suspect you are very correct in your low turnover theory

I'll have to start driving to the better neighborhoods. I usually get shell, but went out of my way to the nearest chevron just to mix it up a bit.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:37 PM

logical theory
Old 02-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Most likely possibility is...

The station's tanks were just filled or being filled while you were there. Contaminants that normally sit at the bottom of the tank (especially water) can be stirred-up, ingested by the pump, and deposited into your tank if you fill-up when Thomas the Tanker Truck has just paid a visit.
I would guess the fact that it happened twice at the same station (especially so many years apart) is just crazy-*** coincidence. If it was a regular occurence, you have to think that everyone would experience the same issues and quit buying gas there.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Seems like one key is who is hauling the gas. Seems like I heard or read lots of good gas

gets contaminated riding with independent delivery trucks that never change filters, poop in the gas, blah blah blah.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 PM

Default King 5 just did a story about this....

<b>From King5.com
<a href="http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_022209WAB-bad-gasoline-SW.3fb46030.html" target="_new"><b>Reports of watered down gas rise</b></a>
Sunday, February 22, 2009</b>

It's been some years now, but remember a post from someone where this happened to them at a gas station near Boeing Field. He did a smart thing....in addition to calling the state's Weights and Measures department as soon as he could, he went back to the station and pumped some gas from the same pump into a plastic container of some kind, getting a sample of the bad gas to give to the state investigators.

Because he called the state, and he showed/complained the sample of bad gas to the station people, the station pretty much could not deny they were pumping bad stuff -- I'm sure he had no problem getting the station to pay for needed repairs to his car.

Would hate to have this happen to me.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default had it with texaco long ago, had to drain and replace all lines, filter, and pump.

At there expense. Now I only use chevron and have had great results...

Quick Reply: Crappy Oregon Gas and name brand stations