Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Off-topic Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Banned
Account #: 137281

Default HAI AWOT, wanna review my summary of "the singer solution to world poverty by peter singer? kthxby

Summary of The Singer Solution to World Poverty

Peter Singer is a philosopher and ethicist that is widely known for his controversial studies and conclusions. Anyone who reads about his solution to world poverty will probably recognize his name from either his placement at Princeton University or one of his other literary pieces, such as the book "Animal Liberation." Throughout his essay, Singer tries to convince the reader as to why affluent societies, such as the U.S. should donate a decent percentage of their income to the poor. He tries to quantify the amount that families should donate through a series of stories, and assumptions about them. Originally agreeing with Peter Unger's recommended donation of two-hundred dollars per child, Singer eventually concludes that any income that is being used on so-called luxuries should be given away.
Peter Singer jumps right into narrating his first supporting excerpt in the very beginning of his essay. It is about a retired school teacher named Dora who works at a train station writing letters for anyone who is illiterate. At one point she receives word that if she convinced a nine-year-old boy to follow her to a particular address where the boy will supposedly be adopted by a wealthy family, she will be given one thousand dollars. Dora accepts the offer and purchases a new television with the money she was given. Her pleasure was short lived, however, because she soon discovers that the boy will probably be killed for his organs because of his age; Dora returns to take the boy back the next morning. At this point is when Singer begins making the assumption that we all automatically feel praise for Dora's decision to save the boy, and then makes the analogy that we should feel this way as well. He also assumes that American's would see Dora as a monster if she were to keep the television set instead of rescuing the boy. At this point Singer begins attempting to persuade the reader that just because the children in need are over seas, this does not change the consequences of deciding whether or not donations should be made, like Dora everyone should give up non necessities to help aid those in need.
Singer's next supporting narrative is a paraphrased except from Peter Unger's book "Living High and Letting Die." It starts off by explaining that a guy named Bob is just about ready to retire. Bob has invested most of his savings in a rare Bugatti, and is awaiting the day of his retirement where he can sell the car and live comfortably due to its constantly rising market value. The only downfall of Bob's plan is that he was unable to insure his huge investment. One day Bob went on a drive and parked his car at the end of a side railroad track to go for a walk. While he was walking he noticed a child walking down the tracks, and coming from the other way was a completely empty runaway train. Bob finds a crossover switch that he could activate that would direct the train away from the child, saving him. However, directing the train away would result in the destruction of Bob's retirement investment. Bob decides to ignore that the child is on the tracks and to not flip the switch; the child is killed but Bob continued to live his happy life. Here is where singer makes his next assumption, thinking that all of the readers will get angry at Bob for his decision. He makes an analogy that everyone has the opportunity to save a person in need, regardless of how the situation arose. Bob, like most people, did not have the opportunity to truly see the child in the way that Dora did and so chose to not save him. Singer, using the aforementioned assumption that we feel anger towards Bob, says that it is very easy to ignore an endangered child if they are not directly in front of you, but once the situation is explained "everyone" will feel the need to help out through any means necessary (namely donations).
At this point is when Singer begins to quantify his argument, originally agreeing with Unger's original estimate of two hundred dollars per child. He seems to begin a rant about how much money should be given once a person starts cutting back on non necessities. An example of this would be not going out to a favorite restaurant, in lieu of saving up for the next two hundred dollar donation. He then begins using the Bob example to even further push how similar the typical person's situation is to Bob and his Bugatti, border lining on almost being excessive. Singer eventually concludes that an average American family spends about thirty thousand dollars a year on necessities, and anything in addition to this should be donated. All in all, Peter Singer has produced an undoubtedly controversial, yet thought provoking, article on the idea of donating excess wealth to conquer poverty. He used good examples for his arguments, however the applications of them seem to be very weak because of the generalizations he makes about the general public.
AudiSpaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Elder Member
Account #: 143459

Default Cripes, your first sentence has a glaring error. Are you indicitive of our nation's youth?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Elder Member

Default Ok, I have read 3 sentences and that is some ****ty ****ty writing. Are you in middle school?

I am NOT kidding. I am not going to read any more. You fail at English.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Elder Member

Default Jesus, if I were a prof., this paper would be so saturated in red ink, you could not read it.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Banned

Default lol, thanks. its only a rough draft I just pulled out of my *** I know its not good

I haven't even read it yet
Old 02-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
Elder Member

Default I honestly wanted to read it, but I can only take so much basic English fail. Sry.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Account #: 104313

Default awful

FQ-700ish
JordanS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Banned

Default well can you attempt to help revise?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Elder Member

Default I can't address the concepts until you fix all the basic grammar and sentence structure failz.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Mr. Solid Citizen
Account #: 65467

Default first sentence: Pete Singer is a "whom" or "who," not a "that"

if all of AWOT takes one sentence, we can edit this thing in no time lol
ek mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
audi, poverty, question, review, rhetorical, singer, solution, summary, world