What a bad month!! Long post

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a bad month!! Long post

It has been a ****ty one for to say the least. Anyway September 2nd get a call from my cousins in Italy telling me that my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer. At 91 years old and the advanced stage of the cancer they gave him 2 months to live. I talk to the wife and she agrees that I set a trip for October spend a week with him. I would have chosen to go sooner but with 3 huge projects coming to close at work I could not leave before the end of the month in September.

Fast forward 1 week Wednesday September 10th at 11:45 pm (5:45 am in Palermo Sicily) and my brother calls me and tells me my dad got the call from his brother in Italy telling us my grandfather has passed. It was really hard for all of us but what was really hard to swallow was that my father was set to fly out on Thursday September 11th to spend the next 3 weeks in Italy so he could be with his father. That did not work. Instead he was going to a funeral instead and did not get to speak to his dad 1 last time.

In the end I have to say that things have been really hard since my grandfather died. I have been blessed that for 26 years of my life no one in my family has died, this is all new to me. I had all 4 of my grandparents growing up and it was great. I got spoiled here in the states all year long but in the summers from the age of 10-15 I got to spend 6 weeks in Italy with my grandparents there. Looking back at this, I realized that I had the life. Now I find myself dealing with this loss 1 day at time. I just keep thinking to myself that we should all be so lucky to live until 91 like my grandfather. I think back to his life and recognized that the economy today can't be any worse than the wars my grandfather went through, living through the great depression and fascist movement, or the massive earthquakes the destroyed 3 of his homes. All this and the guy was still sharp enough to write out his check to the electric, gas, and phone company the day prior to his passing. In the end I have a ton of memories to look back at and am grateful to god for all that I was blessed with each and every day. Take nothing for granted.

God Bless
Francesco Paolo Maniscalco
4/15/1917 - 9/11/2008
Old 09-26-2008, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RIP, he's in a better place now. our condolences to you and your family, Paolo
Old 09-26-2008, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm sorry for your loss, it's tough

But trust me, when it comes to cancer, a peaceful passing is the best you can hope for. In the late stages of cancer, the disease becomes extraordinarliy painful and I assure you, watching a loved one struggle through that is absolutely heart wrenching and far more emotionally difficult.

He will remain a part of you fovever, you will find yourself thinking of him often and you will be inspired by the man he was, and still is, in your memories.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Mourn his death, but then move on to celebrate his life.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry to hear...

I know exactly how you feel, and it isn't easy. Growing up I also had all 4 of my grandparents around and within 1/2 hour of me. Besides seeing them every weekend, we spent the summers at LBI with the one set and I was really closer (more in common) with my grandfather than my father. They all passed away in the last couple years, with the last one this year and it seemed like the end of an era... hard to put into words really.
I think it is taken for granted sometimes though, and I am sure that I did at many points. My wife had 2 grandparents die before she knew them, another one when she was maybe 5 and the last when she was 15... and her father died when she was 17. You can really feel blessed for having them in your life as long as you have, as I feel the same way.
RIP and I'm sorry again for your loss.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ohh no! Paolo I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

please let me know if I can help buddy! Lost my granddaddy to skin cancer in may, two weeks before my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer. Its so hard, keep remembering the good times...
Old 09-26-2008, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

sorry for your loss
Old 09-26-2008, 05:39 AM

Default RIP. Sorry for your loss

My dad encountered a similar issue with the passing of his dad. He landed in Rome as he passed in Napoli.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The distance really stinks.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:47 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default My condolensces Paolo.

I'll tell you a little story, if for no other reason than to let you know I know what you're going through.

I was a little more fortunate that you, in that I made a trip to India 2 months before we got the dreaded call. But my father, like yours, had scheduled his trip just a little too late. Growing up, I didn't have the kind of time you had with your grandparents, but nonetheless, they always had a special place in my heart. On my last visit, I saw down with each of them to talk about their lives in India. When they were young, when they got married, when they had children, right up until the point where my father asked for enough money for the boat trip halfway around the world to some strange country none of them knew anything about. That trip left me with a lot of great memories. My grandfather was the glue in our family, and it hasn't been the same since he's passed (9 years now). Reading your post brought a tear to my eye...both in remembering what I've lost, and knowing you're going through the same. My best to you and your family! Remember him well!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Remembering my last trip

My last time there was 3 years ago and I did most of the same things you did. I asked him a ton of questions about his life. I even went as far back as my great grandparents and I found out a ton of stuff that my dad did not even know. Thanks for the kind words!

Quick Reply: What a bad month!! Long post