Local driving/racing schools?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local driving/racing schools?

Hey all, a friend of mine is coming out to visit this summer (we're both turning 30), so we've decided that we're going to do a performance driving/racing school. Here are the constraints:

Cost - it would be nice to keep total cost under ~$1500

Travel - Better to be local (school at Laguna, Sears, T-Hill) so as to spend the money on the course, not airfare and hotel.

Cars - If it were just me I'd be happy using my own car, but he won't have one, so it needs to be someplace that provides cars (or, potentially, someplace I can use mine and he can rent something reasonable).

Instruction type - looking for racing/performance driving, which means hot lapping, line, heel-toe etc. as opposed to defensive/highway driving stuff.

I've taken a look at Russell (Sears Point) and Skip Barber (Laguna) as well as Bondurant (probably not ideal since it's in Arizona). Anybody have recommendations/experiences to share?
Old 05-22-2003, 10:46 AM

Default You won't find anything in CA where you do proper lapping in street cars. For that you'll have to

look at doing Formula cars. Most schools that teach high-performance driving have their own cars and you work on skid-control, heal-toe, threshold braking, trail-braking (depending on the theory taught at the specific school) and do some auto-x work.

Russell does offer a course where you drive your own car, but I'm not sure if you actually take it onto the actual raceway.

I can give some more input on both types of schools and which schools I enjoyed most if you tell me which of these you'd prefer (formula or strett-car).

Formulae courses will run you upwards of $2,500 for 3 days.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:47 AM

Also look at Derek Daley(sp?) in Vegas. I think they might use street cars on track........
Old 05-22-2003, 10:57 AM

Default My wife signed me up for this for my birthday.

I'm just doing the test drive, but there are others in all price ranges.<ul><li><a href="http://www.jimrussell.com/">http://www.jimrussell.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 05-22-2003, 10:59 AM

Default I would prefer street cars

but I understand that options are limited in that respect. Formula cars are interesting in their own way as pure racers that I can't drive every day, and I'd much rather lap in a formula car than autocross/skidpad in a street car. I'm also willing to do a shorter course (1-2 days) to keep the price reasonable.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:05 AM

BDaddy took the course where you drive your car and they did run the track @ Infineon
Old 05-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Rest In Peace

Default I dunno what you can get for $1500, sounds like more than one day . . .

for $2700 you could do the entire 3 day techniques of racing in formula fords at Sears . . .
Old 05-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Isn't that Canadian $ at Mont Tremblant?

The Searspoint school is here.<ul><li><a href="http://www.russellracing.com/index.asp">http://www.russellracing.com/index.asp</a</li></ul>
Old 05-22-2003, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Local driving/racing schools?

look at www.unlimitedlaps.com. They don't provide a car, but it's cheap and fun. Next event at Thunderhill June 20.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:57 PM

Default Wrong URL?

If this is just a lapping thing, sounds like fun, but we (he especially) are looking for plenty of instruction too. I've attended open track events before and am educated (if not proficient) in the theories of high performance driving, he has zero background.

Quick Reply: Local driving/racing schools?