Feedback on Sunnyvale Foreign Car Service in Mtn. Vw.? Had a strange experience....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on Sunnyvale Foreign Car Service in Mtn. Vw.? Had a strange experience....

I found that their prices were higher than the dealership, and their diagnoses were at odds with the dealerships'.

I went there due to proximity and hoping to save over the dealership on a front brake job. I paid a bit extra for a once-over. Peter, a former Audi-trained mechanic (self-reported best in CA in a contest), offered to check for two common problems: cam adjuster seal leak, and lower control arm excess play.

After inspection, he did indeed find both of these problems... a slight leak at the cam adjuster seal, detected with a mirror, and excess play in the right leading lower control arm. He pointed out a recall on the control arms, so going to the dealership might make sense. Quoted $453 for control arms and 4-wheel alignment which he said was necessary at the same time. I decided to pass on these and just get the brakes done. Replaced front pads and rotors, costing $473.

I go to the dealership, George at Stevens Creek, and ask him to check these items. I also find that George's quote for front brakes is $399 (new pricing is in effect), less than Sunnyvale's cost. George's techs find no play in the leading lower control arms, but some in the uppers. He suggest to wait until it makes a clunking noise before replacing them, almost a $1k job. Not a safety issue. Indeed the lower control arms were covered by a recall. They also did not find any oil leak, after using UV dye and road testing, but they did find a leak in the rear transmission seal (automatic). We decided to fix it, that rather than to have to check the fluid monthly.

So, I'm left not feeling I can recommend Sunnyvale, even though the credentials of Peter (doesn't do the work, but manages) and the family-business nature of the shop seem attractive. You gotta save me money over the dealership, and get the diagnoses right. Plus the dealer gives me a ride to/from home.

Anyone else have +/- experiences?

I keep a list of messages about local shops at <A HREF="http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html#norcal">A6 FAQ, Norcal section</A>. I'm aware of some of the "tuner" style shops, but I've been hesitant to take my car for maintenance to such a shop unless it is a specialty and they have Audi-trained staff. Another shop I might try is M&amp;M in Campbell. I've heard enough bad about DM in Palo Alto to avoid them now that it has changed hands and they lost two Audi experts/owners.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I brought my Passat into European Autoworks in Mountain.

I plan on bring the Audi there for the 60k, timing belt, and future service.

The service on the Passat was nothing special, just a 40k service. It ended up being about $500 or so, but cheaper than the stealership by $100-200.

They even stamped my book.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow, I feel cast aside as a "tuner" style shop. =)