Anyone had Turbo swap, Tranny or other complex (i.e. drop engine) service at M&M Auto House ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone had Turbo swap, Tranny or other complex (i.e. drop engine) service at M&M Auto House ?

Need some help. Looking for nearby shops. Feedback, comments much appreciated - please use my email if too sensitive.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Palo Alto close enough?

Streetwerke is a brand-new shop staffed and owned by stand-up guys. Talk to Jason. See what you think.
-df
Old 01-01-2005, 03:10 PM
ATH
Elder Member

Default Well, I went there once and would never let them touch my new car

Now, keep in mind that supposedly they've switched owners since I've been there, but before I sold my other S4 I decided to try them out for some stuff since I needed done and oil change as they stock M1 0W40.

So, I went in to get get my exhaust leak fixed (needed to loosen clamp and reposition, Steve S gave it a try but it was too difficult to do without a lift), oil change, and reposition a wheel spacer. Fairly simple.

So I'm waiting, front desk guy comes out and says "we can't work on your exhaust, it's aftermarket." I argued with him for awhile, but he insisted they couldn't touch it. Ok, fine. Then he came back out and said my rotors are warped - typical shop crap, but I'm not your average sheep, so after I told him Stoptech had actually seen the rotors within the last 2000 miles and said they were perfectly fine, he rolled his eyes and said "ok, whatever," which I thought was pretty rude.

So 1 hour later, they are done, I walk up to the counter and the guy says "that'll be $350." I asked if he was joking - he was not. So I asked him to break it down:

-1 hour for exhaust diagnosis(keep in mind they didn't touch it)
-1 hour for wheel spacer (they took a wheel off, and put it back on. That maybe took 5 minutes).
-1 hour for oil change, plus a nice $6 a quart for the Mobil, and some other crappy charge for the oil filter.

So I told the guy there was no way I was paying for anything related to the exhaust, and no way I was paying more than $20 for the wheel spacer. Finally got the bill down to $180, which was still retarded, and left. He was basically just charging me on quoted time - I mean, the car was in there for an hour, how exactly do you accrue three hours of billed time?

The owner did call me later that week and say he heard I was unhappy, and wanted to know how to fix the problems. I told him the front desk guy was a jerk and tried to rip me off, and that if they want enthusiasts to ever recommend their shop, they better start working on aftermarket parts. I was happy about the call at least.

He said he'd love to see the new car when I got it, because he was thinking of doing K04's. Yeah, right.

Anyway, I would go talk to them for a while about your car and find out if they are still morons over there - it might be totally better now.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I used to use them when I lived in San Jose.

But that was back when the old owners were there. Pete & Greg were awesome guys to deal with.

I have used the new shop a couple of times, but the service is not the same as it once was. They've gotten pricey, and they have issues with modded cars (previous management did not).

I can't say they did me wrong about anything, but since I now live in the East Bay I can't say they are worth the drive to me. Funny, because I live 70 miles away and took it there before under old management (which says something to me about how the service used to be).

J.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:43 PM

Ah yes - now I remember this shop ... Thanks - I should've STF Norcal Archives :~S
Old 01-02-2005, 09:36 AM
ATH
Elder Member

Noob! ;-)
Old 01-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Ouch - ok I deserved it :-P
Old 01-03-2005, 02:28 PM

Default just came got back from there...

darrin, jason, and josh are a class act.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

But, a tuner and a service shop are different things. Any trained Audi service mechanics?