Thoughts on DM Motors in Palo Alto

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thoughts on DM Motors in Palo Alto

So I took my car into DM Motors today to get my coolant sensor replaced and hopefully repair an oil leak of mine. They gave me an estimated cost of 42 bucks on the coolant sensor and an estimated cost os 42 bucks on the oil leak. Some how I'm guessing thats about the cost of an hours worth of work. Anyway, I told them the coolant sensor was bad. This I already myself because I hooked the car up to vag com on more than one occasion and diagnosed the problem. Did the research finding out the part was only 8 bucks, and a 20 to 30 minute fix which made their estimate of 42 bucks at the time I dropped the car off seem reasonable. However when they called me later to tell me what they had found going on with my car they said it would be 150 bucks to replace the coolant sensor. WTF?!?! Do I seem like that big of an idiot to not know that I could do it myself for a whole lot less.

Next they go on to tell me about the oil leak. Since I've already replaced the cam tensioner seals and the timing belt 5k miles ago there are few other areas that are common for my car to be leaking from. They said once they removed the belly pan they could see a leak coming from the oil pump gasket area. So I ask how much they expect the repair to cost and they give me an estimate of 770 bucks. WTF?!?! I know an oil leak can be a bit pricey to repair, but that just seemed a bit high, and it could get even higher once they start working on the car. After all based on the cost of the coolant sensor I knew they were blowing some smoke up my ***. I let them know I'd call them back and let them know what I wanted to do.

I immediatly started calling some of the other shops I've heard good things about and asked what kind of prices they'd give on a similar job, and came to the conclusion my car was at the wrong shop. I called back the guys at DM Motors and told them that the cost of repairs was a little to rich for my blood and that I'd come pick my car up.

They ended up charging me 42 bucks for doing absolutely nothing to my car, and really did nothing aside from put it on a rack and remove the belly pan. I've never had a mechanic charge me for something so simple as that. So my thoughts on DM Motors is SKIP SKIP SKIP. I don't know why people here recomend them, but I won't be going back.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Changes in ownership recently...

The old owner, Dieter Mees, was exemplary. The new guys are an unknown entity. I use to recommend DM Motors before due to Dieter...I don't think I can recommend DM Motors any more. Your comments, plus something else I saw/heard has changed my mind on them.

One guy I can recommend though...in Burlingame..is Jim March of Burlingame Independent. He is an ex-racer friend of mine that know VAG products (VW/Audi). He recently fixed my sisters Jetta..and for years worked on ChrisB's Audi A4..and other Audis. Call him for an estimate...tell him I recommended him.

Good luck.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default im taking it to Advanced Audi VW in SF.

Randy over at Advanced Audi is my dentists son and I felt really much better talking with him about the car then I did with the guys at DM Motors. If I end up needing a different shop tho Steve I will definitely give Jim a call.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a similar experience with DM in palo alto....

I used to take my Audi 90 there and I felt they did a good job at a fairly good price. That was about a year ago. I had my A6 in there a while ago and asked for a quote on replacing all four springs.... with a straight face, he told me 3 grand!... excluding parts. I laughed and took my car home. That's going to be the last time I go in there.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:10 AM

Default I thought there was something different...

Dieter didn't answer when I had set up some maintenance work in May and it just felt different there. M & M is no longer Audi, DM Motors is no longer DM! Shoot...Now I need to find a new independent place in the South Bay!
Old 01-02-2005, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Jim March at Burlingame Independent is still there...he is good.

Can probably do anything you hand to him VW or Audi.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:26 AM

That's a bit of a drive from Cupertino
Old 01-03-2005, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Well...you could always just go to AB or Carlsen...

I am suggesting a guy that is relatively inexpensive..that won't scratch your car...or recommend stuff you don't need. Give him a call and talk to him.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Thanks Steve. I know you are just trying to help.

I just decry the fact that I have to travel up to Burlingame to get decent service without being ripped off by stealerships or even crooked independents. I realize that there are many reputable and many non-reputable repair shops out there. With the limited number of reputable Audi capable repair shops steadily declining, I have to start wondering if my next car will be an Audi. With so many Audis out there, I just don't understand why there are so few Audi repair shops out there.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How did that work out? What did you have done? Satisfied?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on DM Motors in Palo Alto