Small rant on CA smog...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small rant on CA smog...

Ok so who wants to hear a fun little story about how California is totally screwing over its residents on smog (and not just how you think they are).

My 20v fails smog, barely over HC @ Idle and "no timing mark on the flywheel" (pff, some black paint fixed that, blind guy with a timing light @ the test only station...)

The test only smog station suggest I go to the BAR as they will pay up to $500 for repairs on the car. I figure what the hell, I will go talk to them to at least see what they are going to say (I already knew the problem, but if they wanted to buy it for me sure!). So I head on down to one of there BAR judging / ref centers that are certified to fix cars.. The guy looks around under the hood for about 5 minutes (with the idle wondering around, bad TPS) and says they wouldnt be able to get the parts for the car and he suggests I should look in to california VAVRP (voluntary accelerated vehicle retirement program).

Ok ok ok, so just to get everyone up to speed here, my car is a 91, with under 90k miles. The VAVRP is a program that gives Californians $1000 for there vehicle that they cant make smog. I can fix my car myself and was planning on doing so, again more so humoring the fact california might buy parts for my audi :P

I understand the notion behind the program (pollution sucks I get it, and if you cant smog yea its time for a new car) but to not even look in to what the problem truly is and then suggest I trash my car for a grand, what the hell is going on here? If this was someone who knows nothing about cars where do they turn to then? They dont turn to anyone, they do what California wants them to and "retires" the car.

Now the fun part. I go to the factory and get a quote for the TPS on my car ($469.90)... hmm... so you not only can get the part for my car but you can even get it under the $500... yeaaa... I go back to the BAR guy, show him the quote, and he tells me the $500 is to cover all repairs including labor which is charged @ 125 an hour.

Ok ok ok ok ok... wait... this is the program to help californias be able to afford to stay on the road.. $125 an hour (more then 034motorsports charges...)... so pretty much, if they cant get your part for under $250, and spend less the 2 hours putting it in (i know some shops that charge an hour just for an oil change!) then they are going to suggest to everyone in the state they retire there vehicle and get stuffed.

It used to be in california if you couldnt smog your car, and showed proof of over $500 spent trying to fix the car, they would wave smog and youd still be able to register there vehicle, and while that would allow a bit more pollution people who couldnt afford to fix the car (or get a new engine) could still make it to work. This whole new setup is really deceiving, and it shows just how back asswards this whole thing is. If they would have looked over the vehicle and told me the part cost too much with labor and THEN suggest the VAVRP sure, that would be there only alternative if I cant afford to fix the car myself, but not even giving me a clue as to whats wrong and telling me to crush it... thats just wrong.

So long story short, dont go to the BAR if you fail smog, dont do what anyone suggests you do from the DMV, or the Test Only station. Your on your own

.... oh... and I got my TPS in the mail for $50 bucks...

.,!,, [^_^] ,,!,. California Smog!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep it is mostly a money making scheme...

For your story I'd suggest that you send it to Mr.Roadshow with the Mercury News, he does post a lot of good letters...
Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 AM

Default I'll buy your car for $ 1,050 . . .

As long as you've smogged it first as required by law...

Old 01-14-2009, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm sure you remember that vacuum hose leak fiasco for my 83 coupe

not as bad as yours, but I still always get the feeling they're out to get my older cars off the road ASAP. fokkers.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Almost made me spill my coffee laughing so hard here... :P
Old 01-14-2009, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yep. Ever since they got rid of the rolling 30 year smog exemption

the aim has been to simply get older cars off the road period. And the definition of "old" is creeping up and up.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default as someone from the East coast and new resident in CA...

(here're my rants)

CA vehicle registration rule = <i>"We don't care if your car is a total danger to you and those around, with failing SAFETY items... but you better NOT pollute!"</i> There was ZERO safety inspection!?

The other thing I'm noticing... pedestrians feeling they're entitled to COMMAND the flow of traffic. Now I understand pedestrian safety perspective... but when I step near a curb, i do NOT expect cars to immediately come to a screeching halt just for my sake! (Try pulling THIS stunt in NJ/NY/NYC!) Sure, if a car is far enough away, start slowing down to stop for me... but if it's already near passing me, just continue on... for Buddha's sake! I've actually seen other pedestrians here got pissed off and yell at cars for proceeding on!?!

Lately I've been waving cars by often, based on their existing speed/distance from me. If I was to 'demand' a car to stop... I would have just caused it to exhaust all its kinetic energy by braking, and then it will need to accelerate away after, thus BURNING GAS and produce more POLLUTION! ...all so I can exercise my entitled rights as a pedestrian??

So it's just odd that it seems like:
Pedestrian 'entitlement' (as opposed to common sense) &gt;&gt; pollution &gt;&gt; vehicle safety.

&lt;/rant&gt;
P
Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM

Default Sigh......

I was so close.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soylent Green (also an I5 20V) passed smog by a huge margin - only 2 years difference

Custom software, injectors, phenolic gaskets, huge Garret ball bearing turbine, eBay intercooler, diy plumbing ... etc

Only thing stock was the a/c and the airbox + filter. That's all smog seems to care about these days : those annoying rice burners and their K&amp;N filters.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yea my fail was because of faulty parts...

Found my PCV tube in 3 pieces, and them my throttle positioning sensor crapped out (or problem was amplified) once the PCV was fixed. He also failed me because of no visual TDC mark @ idle, the timing mark was actually visible on the flywheel but the guy with the timing light couldnt see it because the aluminum flywheel is so shiny. I have since fixed all of these issues (minus the TPS which is in the mail) and should pass without problem.

Quick Reply: Small rant on CA smog...