I'm here in San Francisco. Itinerary coming together, but still some q's....logistics

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts
Default I'm here in San Francisco. Itinerary coming together, but still some q's....logistics

I'm here at the Serrano until Wednesday for a conference.

Gotta get the wife at the airport late (11pm) Wed night -- is BART safe at that time to take round trip? Or should I BART it out there, then shuttle or cab it back into town?

We head for Guerneville on Thursday for 2 nights and will do wineries in that area and Napa/Sonoma. [Am I right that Napa/Sonoma is about an hour drive from Guerneville?]
1. Renting a car from SFO Thu noon.....how much of a PITA will it be to stop back by the hotel on our way north to pick up luggage (vs. carrying it with us to the airport and then going straight to Guerneville).
2. Hwy1 vs the 101 to get to Guerneville.....how scenic and much longer will going on Hwy1 be?

Saturday night is still TBD. Could be somewhere/anywhere south of San Francisco -- Santa Cruz? Open for ideas...but can't be too far as we'll have to return the car around noontime on Sunday.

Sun/Monday back in San Francisco at the Palomar. I think the only touristy things we'd like to do are Alcatraz and a trolley ride. Are there different Alcatraz tour companies.....rec for a certain one? Good, long trolley ride you'd suggest?

Oh, cycling is out. Couldn't fit the gear in the bag. But I could use some good (long, 14-16mi) running route suggestions (starting at Union Sq area).

Much thanks for any help....

Andy<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/norcal/msgs/54316.phtml">My earlier post...</a></li></ul>
Old 05-20-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok.

If you're in Guerneville you might want to consider doing the wineries of the Russian River which is where you are ...although a drive to either Sonoma or Napa Valleys would be nice as it would allow you to see more of the countryside. The Sonoma Valley is before Napa, each have their own feelings and ambiance.

Bart I would consider safe, remember it's really the unfamiliar and unknown that feels unsafe.

Hyway 1 period.

Alcatraz can be booked altough this is still early in the tourist season so you may ok but I would make reso's soon. Companies I don't know about...been here twenty five years and have never been to Alcatraz!!!!

Ride all the Cable Cars, try going to the Cable Car Museum. I think the best way to see and feel SF is by foot. I know there is a lot of hills but walking through the different neighbors and districts are the way to understand and get a knowledge of the City.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Default As for running...

you can put on your shoes and head down market street toward the ferry bulding. Once there, make a left and you'll be running west along the embarcadero. Keep going and in 2.5-3 miles you'll hit pier 39. Keep going (it gets a little crowded) and you'll hit Fisherman's Wharf followed by Ghiradelli Square. Again, keep going and you'll run alongside Aquatic Park and make your way to the foot of the aquatic pier, where there's an incline that takes you to Fort Mason Park. Once you get to the top, that should be ~4-5 miles. If you want to go crazy, the Golden Gate Bridge is another 3 miles from Fort Mason Park, along the Marina Green and through Crissy Field.

There are water fountains and public restrooms along the Marina Green.

Enjoy!
Old 05-20-2007, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In Gurnville he may want to consider getting his sphincter stretched

There are thousands of guys who would willingly volunteer in that town.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:47 PM

Dude...chill
Old 05-20-2007, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The Fifth Floor restaraunt at the Palomar is first class, wonderful food.

Highly recommended.
Highway 1 is longer than 101, but more interesting and fun to drive, particularly if you rent a TT or an S4!
If you don't have tons of luggage, I'd take it to the airport, since you don't need to go near Market ST to get to 1 or 101 North. From the airport take 101 N, then 380 West, then 280 North, then 19th AVE North to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Alcatraz ferry departs from Pier 41, I think. Call for advance tickets. Consider ferry to Sausalito or Tiburon, both small village places on the Bay, fun bars and restaraunts.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks, I actually did almost that exact route this morning..

I passed on the bay to breakers craziness....didn't bring a costume anyways. heh. I went down market to embarcadero to the aquatic park then straight up (and down) taylor st. back to my hotel. Water fountains are definitely good, as i forgot my fuel belt. Thanks for the help!

Andy
Old 05-20-2007, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah I did look into the "prestige" vehicles, as they're known..

...but at $150+ a <b>DAY</b> -- well, I'm not made of that much coin. Unless you're thinking of a rental place that might be less than that? :-) Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll have a convertible on the Emerald Aisle.....

Thanks for the help.

Andy
Old 05-20-2007, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks!

We'll definitely do the Russian River area wineries, but the wife does want to check out Napa and Sonoma as well.

Andy
Old 05-20-2007, 11:01 PM

Saturday night..how about the Playa Hotel in Carmel?

Quick Reply: I'm here in San Francisco. Itinerary coming together, but still some q's....logistics