B5 S4 with stasis track sports?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B5 S4 with stasis track sports?

I'm looking to get a ride in a track sport equipped car if somone is feeling so generous. Lunch will be on me.

Here's my story. I tried researching suspension once a long time ago on AW and it just made my head hurt. Now there appear to be even more options.

When I last looked into this I was kind of leaning toward track sports (even though I doubt I'll ever put the car on the track) but was a little scared off by folks saying they may be too harsh.

I admit I'd like to retain some of the stock ride manners as I'll have to ferry my 2 year old from time to time, but I'm willing to sacrifice some in the name of getting rid of quite a bit of dive and body roll (my dampers are admittedly shot at this point).

The thing that kept me from being interested in the street sports is that I'm just afraid that after a couple of months I'll regret something even remotely close to stock spring rates. I think I'd like something a bit more aggressive but I guess it depends on how much ride I have to sacrifice.

Any opinions from B5 S4 owners welcome and a ride would be much appreciated. I've got the approval from the CFO to go for it so I'd like to do this sooner rather than later.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I should add

that way back when, I was considering 600/700 as that is what stasis was pushing at the time. I notice that they now offer some lower spring rates. Any comments on those from folks running them would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-10-2007, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My H&R coilovers stiffened things up nicely with neuspeed rear sway, but are dated...

I don't think you would want the tracksports as they're hard. Streetsports or the ohlin setup boscoj has had tons of success with his customers are the current way to go. Don't forget a sway kit.

Chris
Old 03-10-2007, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Now that I have read a little more, also interested in StartupRacing GTs

I guess these are Vogtland COs with custom spring rates and valving. Anyone in the are running these?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Doubtful, they're fairly new. Everyone's up to their eyeballs in debt after getting motorsports :P
Old 03-11-2007, 02:04 PM

Default You might want to consider Motorsports, especially if you're in the city a lot. That way

you'll have the spring rate you want with the daily/ family comfort you need, plus the option for track work if you get the bug. I live in the city and am very happy with the comfort/ track ability trade off motorsports provide.

Only caveat is on city streets the rears have a rattle that sounds like a taxi w/ shot bushings; not there on the freeway. They were supposedly working w/ Ohlin on that, don't know if they've resolved the issue. That said, it's tolerable and I would not choose differently, just disappointing given the premium pricing.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have Vortrag 600/650.

That was the kit that Stasis was based off of, but they probably have changed it substantially since then.

I like it... it's not overly harsh but it is NOT a barcalounger. It's tolerable but it really depends on your preferences versus your passengers' preferences.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They are not cheap.... but well worth the money. Best set up hands down for Audis,IMO.

The STaSIS Motorsports that is.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i had 600/700 tracksports on my s4..

at the time i very happy with them. looking back though, i feel like the b5 chassis is really mediocre and, as a result, the almost $3k installed i paid for the tracksports wasn't worth it. in fact, back when i had the s4, i had a b6 a4 sport as a loaner for a few days and i remember feeling like the overall feel of the car was superior to my b5 s4 with the expensive tracksports.

i had taken the s4 to a few track days and while i do feel like the tracksports helped the car quite a bit, again, looking back, the b5 s4 has so many other issues (heavy weight, front-biased weight distribution, 50/50 p.ower delivery instead of rear-biased, inadequate brakes) that unless i was gonna spend a lot more money to remedy those, the b5 s4 is just never going to be a good track car.

so, my recommendation would be to go with a cheaper off-the-shelf solution like h&r street coilovers or a nice shock/spring combo. you'll get a decent performance improvement, the nice dropped look, a less harsh ride than the tracksports, and, best of all, save $1k.

i would definately consider stasis products if i ever find myself in another audi. they're nice guys and provided great post-sale support (although it was ridiculous that stasis charged me an extra $75 or so for the spanner wrench and front adjustment tool).