They took her EYES! (again). Looking for the best way to prevent stolen headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They took her EYES! (again). Looking for the best way to prevent stolen headlights?

2nd time, and fear that's just the beginning. At $500 deductible per pop and a week+ with no car this is beginning to be unbearable. Only street parking available in my 'hood. Choices are (1) Move out of Boston, (2) Sell the S4, or (3) find some way to prevent the theft.

ci2o
B5S4 Avant
Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unfortunately, the more you try to protect the lamps, the more likely there will be more damage...

There is a local company that fabricates some kind of bracket that makes it harder to rip the lamps out, but since the brackets are not visible from the outside, theives will likely just try anyway, resulting in damage anyway.

There is a guy that used to just leave the bottom bolt out and every night just remove the headlamps and take them with him, but what a PITA.

Maybe just get a small label for each headlamp that says "this car has halogen lights"
Old 02-01-2008, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cant that place Sound in Motion prevent them from being stolen?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default only (1) and (2) are doable at this point

more protection ain't gonna cut it. that just leads to more damage. that is, unless you put some brush guards around the front of the car or something.

where you live? that way I can avoid that area.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default They can add a loud alarm w/ motions sensors for the headlights.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.sound-in-motion.com/installs/light_theft.html">http://www.sound-in-motion.com/installs/light_theft.html</a</li></ul>
Old 02-01-2008, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh...and additional hood sensors for the edges of the hood so it will go of even if one side of the

hood is pulled up.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My gf lives in Brighton. Every time I sleep over her place, I cross my fingers as I am forced to

park on the street.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 AM
CP

Default Take a taxi over there and leave your car at home.

I'll bet $500 would get you quite a few taxi rides.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:05 AM
CP

So every time someone parks in front of you it goes off?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That is the place, but it won't stop the theives...

...from damaging the car anyway. The typical method of removal seems to be prying the headlamp from the fender (side), which damages the fender sheet metal. So yeah, maybe the headlamps will still be there if the horn goes off, but the damage is done, and another deductible needs to be paid.

And the alarm itself? When was the last time you thought a car alarm was anything but flase and annoying? I've called the police a few times, but mostly to complain about the noise.

It would be better if Audi just changed their configuration so the ballast and projectors were not self-contained in the same housing. Would be much less likely to be stolen IMHO.

However, for those B5 S4 owners in urban areas (Boston is not the only city with this problem), there is no way to prevent the damage to the car from thefts or attempted thefts of the xenons.

Quick Reply: They took her EYES! (again). Looking for the best way to prevent stolen headlights?