So i was just pulled over for having an "altered exhaust to increase noise"

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOhooo! im not the only one :-) Best excuse I have heard is... Oh I removed the original one because

I thought it was just too damn loud and I threw this one on there...
Old 03-13-2009, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have been told there is no dB level law.... Jon do you know?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:39 AM

Love the smart *** response route...cops not so much but still entertaining
Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default hmm, I thought there was. I think it's just motorcycles.

But they still need to prove the decibel of a stock car and your decibels at the time of the pullover.

4.04 Procedures for Inspection of Non-Commercial Motor Vehicles (continued)

(5) Muffler and Exhaust System. Accelerate motor to test for prevention of unnecessary noise and emission of any unreasonable amount of smoke. The exhaust system, exhaust manifold(s), exhaust pipe(s), muffler(s), and tailpipe(s), if designed to be so equipped, shall be tight and free of leaks. System components shall be securely fastened with fasteners in place and undamaged. All motor vehicle exhaust systems shall discharge the exhaust beyond operator, passenger, and/or trunk compartment. Unnecessary noise is herein defined as any noise which is louder than that emitted by the vehicle when equipped with the original manufacturer's equipment.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Exactly which provision(s) of the GL or CMR does the citation charge you with violating?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Actually, the MGL about exhaust noise in MA is here...

Chapter 90 Section 16 Offensive or illegal operation of motor vehicles. This statute states (in part):

"No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated upon any way, except fire department and fire patrol apparatus, unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler to prevent excessive or unnecessary noise, which muffler is in good working order and in constant operation, and complies with such minimum standards for construction and performance as the registrar may prescribe. No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust."

This is the same section of law that prohibits the use of a siren or lights unless you are emergency vehicle, and prohibits the use of studded tires between May 1st and November 1st.

It also sets forth the fine as described below:

"Whoever violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars."
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Expert

They may vary depending on municipality. There is no state db limit that I am aware of.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Banned

Default And yet the POS Harley owners can run straight pipes all day long w/o getting ticketed.

**** The Police.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:46 AM

Default I'm in agreement with you on that one, there is one who lives behind my house so

this summer the 911 will be parked at the end of the yard with the exhaust pointed at his house and we'll play 'my exhaust is louder than yours'
Old 03-14-2009, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default because Harley owners are covered by a DIFFERENT chapter of the statute...

Chapter 90: Section 7U. Motorcycles; maximum sound levels

Section 7U. No person shall operate a motorcycle intended for use on the highways of the commonwealth and registered under the provisions of section two of chapter ninety at any time or under any condition of grade, load, acceleration or deceleration in such a manner as to exceed eighty-two decibels when operated within a speed zone of forty-five miles per hour or less, or in such a manner as to exceed eighty-six decibels when operated within a speed zone of over forty-five miles per hour measured at fifty feet using the prescribed highway vehicle sound level measurement procedure.

No person shall operate a motorcycle intended for use off the highways of the commonwealth and registered under the provisions of section twenty-two of chapter ninety B at any time that exceeds one hundred and three decibels measured at twenty inches, or one-half meter, using the prescribed stationary vehicle sound level measurement procedure. For enforcement purposes a tolerance of plus two decibels shall be applied to all measured sound levels of in-use vehicles to provide for variances in equipment calibration, measurement site characteristics and measurement techniques.

Quick Reply: So i was just pulled over for having an "altered exhaust to increase noise"