Rehabbing a house...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rehabbing a house...

I have come to the conclusion that if I don't jump on purchasing a house now, I will be kicking myself in 5 years when the market rebounds. I am seriously considering a house back in my hometown that needs some rehab work - no complete gutting just some paint and updating. The house itself has awesome architectural characteristics. For the price it is a steal. I am certain I can at least double my money when the economy comes back. I think it may need a new septic, but I was going to just have it surveyed and dig that myself.

Overall, I think I can save a lot of time by doing most of the work myself. Has anyone ever rehabbed a property before? Any suggestions, comments, horror stories etc?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

make sure you get a full inspection before buying any property
Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Been through it three times - more of the gut rehab variety though.

Very satisfying, but always costs more than you can predict. By the third time, I learned the discipline of dealing with issues in a one-at-a-time manner, otherwise you overspend and never enjoy seeing things completed.

The first house we gutted we lived in a state of total chaos for 6 years and got it finished as we moved out. We looked around and kicked ourselves because it was so nice, but we never had the chance to enjoy it. Next time out was a little better, but we hired more help to do major bits of work rather than doing everything ourselves.

We've been doing our current house for 8 years, basically one room at a time, plus the usual major hassles of boiler replacements, roof, etc.

It's all kind of fun for me because I don't do anything residential professionally. If you enjoy doing the work, go for it, but make sure you know what you're getting into. Home inspectors are one source, but you might want to get a builder who specializes in residential renovations to walk through it with you as well.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default In my case it's taken twice as long as expected and cost twice as much as I had planned for..

If you hire anyone to do any work make sure your contracts specifically point out details and do your best to hire people that friends/family will give a good reference.

If you hire people to do any work now is a great time.. Some are desperately looking for work and will consider negotiating their hourly rate to get your job.

How in depth are you planning to go? Budget much lower than you can "afford" and expect surprises that are very costly. Otherwise have fun, it's very rewarding. Let me know how things go!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:46 AM

great tips Ros you may laugh avant but maybe watch flip this house for ideas too?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How was the weekend pub crawl?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Done plenty.

If you are planning this, be sure you have a good idea of what you are doing, where you will stop, and what it will cost.

Have a contractor work up a punch list with costs before you do anything.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I'd skip on a home inspection type service and have a contractor or contractor(s) inspect.

IME, home inspections alone are nearly worthless. After reading the one we ordered on our first house, I never ordered another.

BTW, skipping all the inspection stipulations in the contract really freaks out real estate agents - lol
Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have a good friend who is a damn good rehab builder and he is going to walk through the hosue with

me during the showing...
Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Been there 3x. Like ArchitecTT and 4D4, it's a mix of labor of love and a bit of a chore -

but in the end it can be tremendously satisfying and perhaps even financially rewarding.
Be careful, don't rush into anything, ask for expert opinions and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Rehabbing a house...