Making a stock key.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a stock key.

Hey guys one of my friends has a 1999 Passat. She only has the upper half of the key which is the switchblade part(no buttons). Called up the dealer and they said that it will cost $150 to have a new bottom piece attached and reprogrammed. For an entire new key which will have to be cut will cost $300. Anyone know where else to have the key cut so that she can also get a new key? TIA

- Nelson
Old 03-28-2009, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I may have an extra one at work that you can have...

If she has the metal switchblade part, which is the actual key. All you need to do is press out the pin that holds the key to the body/buttons and swap hers over. Follow the programming instructions in the owners manual to program the remote to the car and you're done. Shoot me an email at stonedcoldskier <at> yahoo <dot> com and I will look in my desk on Monday.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not entirely sure what it is that you need. Does she simply need the key cut? Does she also need a new bottom piece?

Skip the service department. When I needed a key cut for a for 97 A4 and Audi wanted to blatantly steal money from me, I called a local VW dealership's parts department and asked them how much to just cut the key and they said $25. Went down and they did it for me free. Did the programming myself. If she's getting a whole new bottom piece and her car has an immobilizer then the bottom piece's code must match her current one.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:41 AM

Anyone know how to open the key.lol..i have a 2003 A4 and need to change the battery but dont feel like breaking my key
Old 03-29-2009, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Opposite side of keyfob from rings there is a small slot. Use a small flat screwdriver and pry that open to slide the two halves apart. Then take the bottom of the fob (the part that does not have the switchblade), and open that up by separating the two halves (just pull apart, easy to do using the section where the key blade is recessed when the switchbalde is closed). The batteries are right there. Careful you do not lose the little figure-8 swivel...that typically just falls out.

Putting the two halves together is sometimes fun...the peg for the swivel is on the half that does not hold the batteries. If you face the battery side up and face the other half down to snap the two halves together, the swivel falls out becuase the peg that holds the swivel in place faces down. If you orient that half that so the peg faces up with the swivel resting on the peg, the batteries fall out of the other half. I have the battery half facing up on a counter, and hold the other half facing downward with one hand while holding the swivel with fingers of the other hand, and then I can snap the two halves together without batteries or the swivel falling out.

Good luck!!!