Failed Inspection today

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed Inspection today

just put in a rebuilt ABS computer and reman MAF and I thought I was looking good. I got failed for "frontend check". The tech wouldn't even tell me what he saw that he failed me for. The guy didn't have the car on a lift or a jack and it is slightly lowered, so I don't know what he thought he could see. He passed the suspension and everything else that is a visual inspection. I would say to anyone stay away from the shop right off the ramp from 93 to Mystic Ave in Medford. I just don't agree with failing for something visual unless it's really bad and to not tell me what it was really annoys me. He kept saying go to a mechanic and have the front end fixed. Thanks for nothing. This is the reason people have to talk on forums to figure out the good shops to get a sticker at. Sadly, I have a connection at a shop closer to me, but I just went to these guys since they are on the way to work...never again.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They didn't give you a printout or anything? Did they keep your $29?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Member

****ing weak... I feel your pain bro.

State inspections are a ****ing joke, you can get a complete deathtrap certified roadworthy if you know the right mechanic. But god forbid you take a decent car in when the mechanic decides to give up smoking... FAIL.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yep, I have a chance to get re inspected at the same station within 60 days for free. But I don't get my money back. The print out just says frontend check - Fail. I have no idea what the failed me for. I'm hoping there is something glaringly obvious. I am taking the car to Fastrack on wednesday for an alignment and hopefully they can figure out what could be making me fail. All my control arms and TRE's are original and have 139k on them, but there is no squeaking or clunking or play that I could find in them. I am assuming front end is steering related, I could be way off. I passed all of the visual checks for the bumper and what not.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

aint that the truth
Old 05-14-2009, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

woah... i didnt know you have to pay if you fail. thats total bs - any shop can just hold that over your head, right? i would have left without paying.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

if the $30 isn't a problem, let me know. I know someone that can take a look and pass it and if he finds a problem he'll let you know what needs fixing.
the inspector HAS to tell you why you failed. EXACTLY why it failed. Call the RMV on him and tell them that you failed and they didn't tell you WHY it failed. The RMV loves pulling people's inspection badges. Especially the old guys that still follow the rules from the 80s.
They prefer new inspectors with a clean slate.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, I think I will be ok on this one but I have written a complaint to the RMV. I took the car to Fastrack and it does look like there is a bad tie rod end and I'll be having it replaced tomorrow and going back to the inspection station. While they were right in diagnosing the car, I am still a bit pissed that he wouldn't tell me a thing about what he failed me for. I would have had the problem taken care of at Fastrack anyways when they went to align the car and found the problem.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tell him he has to, by law, tell you exactly why you failed. If he won't tell you then punch him square in the face,hard, I'm serious..
Old 05-14-2009, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah, one of the reasons they won't tell you is because they want you to pay them to fix it... RMV cracks down HARD on those people

Quick Reply: Failed Inspection today