Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

That's what the other drivers think about Hamilton-Kimi move

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's what the other drivers think about Hamilton-Kimi move

from www.formula1.com:

Q: (Dan Knutson - National Speed Sport News) Could I ask the other four drivers what they thought about that incident and Kimi, and as a follow-up, do you think you and other drivers might be afraid to fight for a position now that you might get a penalty?

Giancarlo Fisichella: I have just seen pictures, so it is difficult for me to say whether what happened was right or not. For sure, maybe, he took a small advantage, that's why he had the possibility, as Felipe said, to overtake him again in braking for turn one. But obviously, a 25s penalty was quite a strong penalty. As for the second question: when we get in the car and we're fighting to overtake a car, we don't think about that. We just try to do our best. Obviously we know if we cut a chicane or we take an advantage we need to back off and give the position back.
Sebastien Bourdais: Yes, I think the rules are very clear. Maybe the penalty was a bit hard, but I think he's made the same mistake twice: he's done it in Magny-Cours and he's done it again in Spa. I don't really understand why there's been such a mess around it. There's a rule book and everybody has to obey the same thing. The penalty is really rough but in the end it's up to you to give the position back or not. Pretty straightforward.
Nico Rosberg: Yeah, I definitely agree, because he did get an advantage, because he wouldn't have been that close behind Kimi had he not cut the chicane. But then again, I also think the penalty was a bit harsh as that did not have such a big effect on the actual race result in the end.
Jarno Trulli: Well, I agree completely with my colleagues. The penalty was quite big but I'm not a steward and I cannot decide what kind of penalty should be given. But on the other hand, it was very clear that he got an advantage out of it, so that's where it is. The rules are very clear. If you cut the chicane and you get an advantage, you just have to drop back and give back the position and in Lewis's case he shouldn't have attacked straight away at the next corner; that was it. On the other hand, with this new chicane, there is a lot of run-off, it gives you more chance to attack because in the case of a mistake, you wouldn't end up in a wall or in the gravel. If it was the case of Lewis in Spa, he wouldn't have gone much further than that. We have more chances to overtake.
SB: I think it was very clear and I agree as well. You have to be responsible for what you decide to do, and in this particular case, if you do gain an advantage like I said, you just give it back and make sure that you don't expose yourself to penalties. I think it's the easiest way to handle it. In my previous experience, my previous life in the States, it was actually a common thing. The stewards would not take action if you gave the position back, so I think it's only fair.
NR: I agree and I don't think it's going to stop us from trying to attack, definitely.

P.S. I would have loved to see the brit suck on gravel again. I would have laughed so loud.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I hope for your sake it rains the rest of the season

because as we've seen, Massa and Kimi are great in the wet. Oh wai....
Old 09-11-2008, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree 100%. Either way, giving the race to Massa, who was never in contention, made as much

sense as giving it to Force India or some other back marker.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Gee, the other day when I made the comment that they were following the

rules, several people jumped on me for that...looks like more of the drivers had the same opinion that I do....
Old 09-12-2008, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I didn't jump on you, lol. We all agree that rules are rules but the 99% of the people...

In the forums I have read, a large percentage of the press throughout the world (forget the Italians), most F1 commentators, even ex world champions like Lauda, Stewart and other F1 drivers have all said it is totally ridiculous. Now those F1 drivers that say rules are rules in the interview were quick to point out that the penalty was too harsh too!

Even Renault's team manager said he disagreed with it and he went further saying it sets a dangerous precedent.

Not to forget that Charlie Whiting himself confirmed not once but twice that Lewis was in the clear.

Also reported now is that the 3 stewards involve in the incident <b>never interviewed</B> Lewis after the race and it was Donnelly that did (he's Max's man in the FIA).

Now there is more crap coming out about the Kenyan steward too. He's now boasting to the press that the UK press hates him but that all the Italians love him, not too smart for a person involve in a after race controversy.

In the end it is how the rules are applied that get the fans pissed off. I think the rules should be clear with no room for subjectivity and certainly not applied post race.

Also the stewards should not be some pencil pusher or someone's friend with the Spa circuit that gets this kind of job. They should be full time professionals that are well paid by the FIA with a minimum of race car experience, in other words hire some well known ex driver with lots of track experience.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The one thing that some people aren't aware of..is the team even asked

about it when it happened..so they must have thought it was questionable at the time. They are racing so hard...that is only takes a second to be a small rules infraction. Bet they all take this as a warning to be more careful when that happens again.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Myself, I'm almost hoping that Massa holds onto it, simply because it makes the title chase

tighter, and in theory, gives Kimi a mathematical shot at it, which is really his only hope at this point,
Old 09-12-2008, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's pooring in Monza today and the 3 day weather outlook calls for rain.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wish it was raining at my house...we are still in a severe drought.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, they did - twice.BOTH times Race Control gave them the OK! What more can you do?

Quick Reply: That's what the other drivers think about Hamilton-Kimi move