Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Take a look at the three seperate incidents from the Japanese GP...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take a look at the three seperate incidents from the Japanese GP...

I tell you the FIA/stewards have to stop this crap. Or if they want to continue they better do it right!

First one up is the "so called" Lewis-Kimi incident.

Now IMHO Lewis should have just tucked under Kimi and followed him for an attack at a later point on the lap or in the race but he did not. In any case he had flat spotted is fronts and needed to come in screwing himself in the process. So here we go...

You can see from several angles including the onboard camera that Lewis brakes far too late and locked up his fronts.

You can also see that at one point Kimi was going to turn in until he saw Lewis coming like a freight train and then decided to straiten out and keep clear of him. By this time Lewis is going strait and won't make the corner and go wide off the track so he is screwed. Kimi is safe an in the clear from Lewis. This to me is just a "race move like you can see throughout racing, a bad miscalculation with no consequence to other drivers (in this case) but to the one that screwed up. It's happened before and I'm sure it's going to happen again and not just in F1.

But Lewis was not the problem it was Heikki that came in right after and almost touched with Kimi and forced him "off track". If anyone deserved a penalty, it was Heikki.

To me this penalty to Lewis is a far reach and if we are going to have nannies checking up on every move the drivers make well that sucks.

The second one is the Massa-Lewis incident.

Here we can clearly see Massa loose it under braking. His rear end steps out and he as to go strait and deep to not loose total control.

Lewis takes the inside line and takes him which is a perfect and totally legit manoeuvre. So far so good. Now Massa goes 4 wheels off track onto the chicane on the inside and while accelerating looses control of his car and punts Lewis is the left wheel/suspension area (causing damages). Not only did Massa take a short cut to try to take advantage of Lewis which he would have had to relinquish, he basically used Lewis to stop himself from most likely spinning himself out of control.

Let me ask how can the first incident where Lewis hits no one and had already paid for his stupid mistake (flat spots) and the second one where Massa hits someone by driving off track, spinning his adversary around on the track making him fall to the last position and also damaging the car be dealt with the same penalty?

If this is not an unfair penalty then I don't know what is?!

Now onto the Massa-Bourdais incident.

Let us remember that Charlie Whiting, the official FIA Race director prior to the Singapore GP and the Japanese GP said to all drivers and teams <b>"The car coming out of the pit area as priority."</b>

So if we take a look at this sequence Bourdais who is racing for a position comes out of the pits and stays well right as he should. He doesn't even move one inch to his left.

Massa makes another bad decision (two in this race) and decides to take him on the outside and hits him and lucky for him spins out in a safe area and continues afterwards.

Why did it take so long for the FIA/stewards to decide this incident when there was plenty of time left in the race?

Again the penalty was awarded post race with no chance to appeal the decision and thus promoting yet again a Ferrari in the points.

What a joke this is turning out to be! It is pathetic! I remember the good days in F1 when there was wheel to wheel racing with some cars touching each other while racing at speed now we have bureaucrats with no experience deciding the outcome of the races and Championships.

Just my $0.02.<ul><li><a href="http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/10/8530.html">http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/10/8530.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-14-2008, 01:33 PM

Default now I see why the stewards gave Bourdais the penalty

all are still just a racing incidents in my book though
Old 10-14-2008, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Take a look at the three seperate incidents from the Japanese GP...

I've got to defend Kimi and agree with Lewis' penalty. You can say he ruined himself by flat spotting the tires but he also runied Kimi because if he doesnt make that move Kimi leads through turn 1.

At the start he loses the drag race and has to tuck in behind Kimi. He obviously planned on being ahead so out of desperation he goes quick to the right, almost takes out Heiki, and then immediately brakes way too late in order to beat Kimi to the turn.

I know people will say its a race move but even Lewis himself admitted it was a mistake.

Maybe Kimi should have turned in like normal. Then LH and Kimi would have been out of the race and no one would be questioning whether LH should be penalized.

The second incident is again attributed to a driver not accepting he just got passed.
Purely Massa's fault and he deserved punishment. Maybe more than he got.

The last should also be either a "non-call" or the punishment should go to Massa.
I can't figure this one out.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think Hamilton is to blame....

I mean does this mean that every time a driver attempts to pass on the inside, overcooks and the passee then follows him instead of slowing down and turning in right behind the passer who overcooked should be penalized?? BS.

Massa vs. Hamilton is clear.

Massa vs. Bourdais....tough one...you could argue both ways but I'll says it should be 'no call' at all....Massa was at fault and he got punished by a spin. Done deal, IMO.

Now, where do I answer on F1.com 'what do I think?'
Old 10-14-2008, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thank you that's my point!. You can't have idiots second guessing what the drivers can and can't do.

Especially when no harm in any form came from a miscalculation or brain fade which was the case here.

My second point was how can they be served the same penalty when one had a more severe outcome to it?

Massa-Bourdais I agree with you... call it a race incident and that's it!

No one deserves a penalty here but if there was one to be handed certainly not to Bourdais for two reasons.

1- Because what the Race Director said.
2- It is always the driver passing that as the responsibility to make it work.

Now for your pleasure here's <b>"The Greatest F1 dual ever!"</b>

How many penalties would these two guys have received by the idiots on the sideline today?

They banged wheels at least three times on the last lap alone. Went off the track several times and Villeneuve even dared to lock up his wheels and take the other guy on the inside... OMFG!

This is what racing is all about and anyone that thinks it shouldn't be this way better stop watching the sport and go watch Golf. I'm sick and tired of hearing the critics of Lewis Hamilton. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!

BTW, I totally agree with Clarkson.<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sDtn8QnpFg">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sDtn8QnpFg</a</li></ul>
Old 10-14-2008, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default really? why?

Bourdais was coming out of the pits and had right of way per the race directors instructions. Stayed far right and was battling for position.

Why did he deserve the penalty for Massa turning in on him?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think there are people on here that must not understand racing.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Default Massa was ahead on track, Bourdais should have backed out

What Bourdais did was akin to a dive bomb pass. The original TV angle was misleading.

And I pretty clearly said no penalty was justified, did you even read the post??
Old 10-14-2008, 04:18 PM

I would never claim to really understand it. I just do it a lot.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Massa was ahead? at what point?

and the title of your post is "now I see why the stewards gave Bourdais a penalty" ... which is what I was asking about.

From what I saw, Bourdais was ahead, had right of way coming out of the pits per the race director, and holding the far right line. Massa was behind but had momentum and tires up to temp, attempted an outside pass, and turned in too far causing contact and the resulting spin. And Bourdais is at fault?

Now the context which is where you claim it was a racing incident and thus no penalty should have been given. Bit of a conflict there.

Quick Reply: Take a look at the three seperate incidents from the Japanese GP...