Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

pros-cons: open vs. enclosed trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You're just determined to complicate your life, aren't you ?

No. You don't want one of those tilt-bed trailers. You'll have the same loading issue with it, but in the other direction (i.e. no high-center, but you'll take your air dam off). They're a lot more expensive, too.

I've put everything in my race fleet, with the exception of the ultra-low ground clearance sports racer that's only 2.75" ground to frame rails / 1" ground to front fibreglass skirt, on a beavertail open trailer. I need 6' boards to get it into my enclosed trailer, even with a 6' ramp door and beavertail. I know people who load ultra-low clearance formula cars and low sports racers on open trailers, with and without beavertail. They simply have to have a couple of 2x10 planks that are 6-8' long, and maybe crank the tongue jack up a few turns to reduce the angle. Let's see...that's about $10 at Home Depot.

You unload your vehicle once per event. You load it once per event. Total elapsed time for both these functions is about 5 minutes, including tie-downs and a beer break. What is it you're trying to avoid doing ? I've got a friend in Trans-Am who has to use wood planks to get his T/A car onto the lift-gate of his semi hauler at every race. Plain old pine...not even hardwood.

Don't over-think this.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default analysis paralysis

Gotcha and agree, keep it simple, less to break or go wrong. Just wanted to make sure I don't shoot myself in the kneecap by getting something that other people have discovered is a pain in the grass. Thanks.

- Felix
Old 12-13-2002, 08:09 AM

Default 2 x 10 x 8' planks?

That's exactly what I hate. I hate having to setup more than two pieces to get the car off a trailer. Left ramp, right ramp, that's it. Less would be even better. One thing I learned on our first trailer (a loaner from my dad), was that using the steel ramps plus a couple long 2 x 10's was a total pain in the ****. And it was even worse when the weather was less than ideal. Then you gotta find a place to tie-down those darn planks when you're on the road...

Plus, if anyone else needs to borrow the trailer (or whatever), they'll never figure out how to do it right without doing some damage first.

Easy-access tie-downs are also important. For example, I like the fact that Steve's little open trailer is really low, and has a decent beavertail, but the front tie-downs are located such that the ratchet ends up underneath the car. It makes it a pain to tighten under a low car.

All of this still makes a good argument in favor of an econo trailer. Get an inexpensive one that's reasonably low, with a beavertail, then spend a little extra money to have a few custom things done to it (or do it yourself).

Ok, there's my last $0.02. :-P
Old 12-13-2002, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: 2 x 10 x 8' planks?

Corey - you need 'ratchet reducers' - http://www.racerwholesale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RW&Prod uct_Code=GF-D1058&Category_Code=Trailer+%26+Towing

I've got'em on all my straps (3 sets of 4 !) and it solves that problem.

Tie-down points or mounting rings are never in the right place. That's why a steel trailer is better...'cuz you can just blitz a new mounting point on where ever you want one.

My ramp extenders live on the tongue of my open trailer, crosswise, in the tool box that's mounted up there. Either do that, or weld a couple of pieces of channel in the center, between the diamond plate, and drill them for hitch pins. Then drop your boards on the channels and drop/clip the hitch pins in.

Ain't towing fun ?<ul><li><a href="http://www.racerwholesale.com/">Racer Wholesale - look under towing stuff for ratchet reducers</a></li></ul>
Old 12-13-2002, 12:12 PM

Default Yeah, I've seen those.

Pretty nifty. Wouldn't help on Steve's little open trailer (only a 16' bed), and we don't need 'em in the 24' enclosed. Those would probably make someone's life easier.

I just wanted to give a couple more examples of what to look for in a trailer. I guess I'm pickier than you! :-P

But yes, all this says that steel is a better way to go than aluminum!!
Old 12-13-2002, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey...

Is that a really big pickup truck in your sig, or is that one of the special "Clown Car" Audi's made specially for the circus clown market ? And does it come with a big red rubber nose ?
Old 12-13-2002, 02:05 PM

Default what you don't think my itty bitty audi will fit in the bed?

yes, that's our tow rig.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:11 PM

Default Reeeeeeeeeeally BIG.

I didn't check the box for the "red rubber nose" option, tho. Hehe.

Are you getting ready for some ice racing yet?