Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

More steward BS from the Japanese GP...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More steward BS from the Japanese GP...

In the process of overtaking Webber for the final points-paying position, <b>Massa crossed the white lines along the pit-straight deemed to indicate the limits of the race track.</b> As Massa passed the Australian, all four wheels of his Ferrari were placed in the pit-lane exit, prompting some observers, especially during these litigious times, to question whether his move illegal. By the letter of the rulebook, <b>any driver who leaves the race-track has committed an offence that warrants a penalty.</b>

That is exactly the penalty Lewis got in Spa because of the incident with Kimi.

Also he left the track two other times during the race. Both occurred during his encounter with Lewis. First when he went four wheels off track, to in the grass, two on the curbing trying to short cut the chicane just prior to punting the McLaren and then cutting across the track and onto the grass on the other side, now isn't this being "off track" too?

Immediately after the race, <b>Kimi Raikkonen accused Hamilton of hitting his Ferrari,</b> but, after footage to the contrary materialised, he withdrew the claim. <b>As yet, there has been no confirmation from the stewards that, they also investigated the driving of Heikki Kovalainen, who definitely did bang wheels with Raikkonen's Ferrari and was apparently guilty of forcing his fellow Finn off the track.</b>

That was my point all along. Lewis may have started a chain of event (without hitting Kimi or anyone) by being overzealous but it was Heikki that hit Kimi and forced him off.

Can someone explain to me the logic here?

Quote from Heidfeld after the race...

<b>"Until the last race I wasn't, but in the last race I think penalties were not justified," Heidfeld told Autosport.

"I did not see the race in full, I only saw the highlights quickly afterwards, but the one on the start with Hamilton was for me not worth a penalty at all. It is just racing. What did he do (wrong)?

"The other one with Bourdais was also not understandable." </b>

I'm glad the drivers want professionals to steward the races and the FIA better listen to them, and I'm sure the teams would want that too and it would be fair for the fans.<ul><li><a href="http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4343115,00.html">http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4343115,00.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-16-2008, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's a fine line sometimes. The issue with the McLarens in the first corner is tough...

Some argue that since Lewis didn't hit Kimi, he doesn't deserve a penalty. The problem is that he and his teammate partly ruined Raikkonen's race. Raikkonen went wide because he had to avoid being plowed into by both McLarens. Had he stuck to his line, there surely would have been a bad crash, would you punish Hamilton then?

I just don't know what the punishments should be for these things, if any. I agree with the drivers that such things should have set punishments if possible and that consistency is key.

Lewis was trying to make up for a less than stellar start, and went for a far too optimistic move down the inside. Raikkonen was doing fine and had the corner all set up, but then 3 cars come plowing down the inside with no hope of getting things right. Hamilton admits he made a mistake here, and I'm glad he did.

The Massa thing was cut and dry, though. He got beat into the corner while fighting with Hamilton and didn't get on the brakes early enough, or didn't apply them effectively. He then had all four of his wheels off of the tarmac trying to jump up the inside over the curb. I believe him when he says he didn't deliberately try to hit Hamilton, but I very strongly agree with his penalty.

I don't even remember if I posted all this before or not.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:33 AM

I totally agree with you
Old 10-16-2008, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some of you keep saying Lewis ruined Kimi's race, how, what and where?

Yes Kimi lost ground on the first few laps but had the whole race in front of him to catch Kubica and Alonso.

In the end he only finished 1.2 seconds behind the second place man Kubica and only 6.4 seconds behind Alonso.

So why couldn't he pass them? Was it the car or was it him? Perhaps it was that Alonso and Kubica were simply faster then him regardless what happened at corner one.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default agreed .... LH and Massa had the same penalty assesed to them, but did they really do the same thing

LH ruined the start of Kimi's race, possibly preventing him from finishing in 1st or 2nd. But Kimi finished 3rd, and given his performance on the season, I wouldn't call that ruining his race. This from an aggressive and stupid passing attempt that failed, and LH suffered from as well.

Massa though, caused LH to spin, drop what 14 or so positions in the pack, and a damaged car. This from Massa going OFF track resulting in car to car contact.

So really, do the two deserve the same punishment?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default so according to your theory, grid position doesn't mean anything and dive bombing into a corner

is acceptable behavior.

Let me ask you then, why was Lewis so desperate to get back his position if it were so easy to catch up and pass? If Hamilton is as godly quick as you always imply, why was he getting lapped by the likes of Jarno Trulli, who by-the-way was held back by Lewis for two laps because he ignored a blue flag.

Your statements are full of self-contradictions, and spewing with bias.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Exactly. Masa must have more photos of Mosely.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well said.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 AM

Default good God, now i don't feel alone anymore....

thank you for making a good point, my point as well.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You must have a problem reading or comprehending what I said...

First of all you still did not answer my question...

How was Kimi's race ruined by Lewis?

Second I said Lewis should have tucked in behind Kimi and should have waited at a later time to pass. Yes I think he did a mistake. How am I bias?

What Lewis did was done before him by many other drivers and I'm sure will happen again, nothing new for F1 or any other kind of racing.

Now how and why should he be penalised for a mistake which technically did no harm to anyone but himself (flat spots)?

Heinfeld said so himself... Lewis did not warrant a penalty oh and BTW neither did Bourdais.

Yes Kimi ended behind Alonso and Kubica but he had the whole race to pass him and he couldn't big deal! Either the Ferrari sucks or Kimi suck! However since Kimi recorded some of the fastest times until Massa bettered him towards the end of the race. You make your own opinion on how Kimi drove this race and the rest of his season so far.

Third, like it as been reported elsewhere, it was Heikki that made contact with Kimi's car and actually forced Kimi to go off track. So why wasn't Heikki penalised?

By far the most aggressive driver on the track that weekend and the one that should have gotten IMHO a 10 spot penalty on the grid for this upcoming race is <b>Massa</b>.

This guy is a total "Cry Baby" and a total loose nut when he get emotional and he's no where as good as driver as Lewis is under any circumstances.

Let us look at the facts for the Japanese GP for Massa.

Incident number one... He short cuts the chicane to try to take back his position from Lewis (illegal) goes four wheels off (two in the grass/dirt and two on the curbing). He then punts Lewis in the &lt;left rear section of the car&lt;/b&gt; and spins him around. In the process he damages Lewis' car. To use your own words, if that's not dive bombing what is? Now because of this he cuts across the track and goes off track onto the grass on the other side and cuts that section of the race track. So in this one incident Massa managed to do more harm to one competitor than Lewis did in the whole race. He also pulled off one perhaps two illegal moves because as Lewis found out in Spa, going off track is illegal.

Incident number two... The Bourdais incident. Both drivers and teams were specifically told in Singapore and in Japan by the <b>Race Director</b> that the cars coming out of the pits have priority. Massa who had a much faster car couldn't wait a corner or two to take him so he tangles with Bourdais in the first corner at pit exit.

Incident number three... Massa who again as a much faster car than Webber decides to pass him and after a few weaving manoeuvres from both drivers Massa passes him inside the white line (all four wheels) of the pit exit lane. Again this is considered a no, no and is considered going off track normally.

So why wasn't Massa assed a harsher penalty (ies)?

As for the Trulli-Hamilton incident I can't comment more then to say that if true, I guess Lewis should have let him go by but possibly the only reason Lewis couldn't drive as well was that his car was damaged by Massa at the beginning of the race.

Quick Reply: More steward BS from the Japanese GP...