Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

DEer taking the plunge to the next step and looking at M3s for BMW CCA club IP class. Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sounds as if stockers are fine.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i'll try to post my thoughts next week...

...i'm running on very little sleep right now and am heading to the vir for the 13 hr when i get back home today...
Old 11-02-2007, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good info above. I'll add some more info next week.....

Heading for the 13 hour at VIR. Best advice is to talk to a few people running IP at the track or on the phone. Shoot me an email and I'll give you my number.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 AM

Default Money was the main factor, time was the second.

When I started carrying a balance on my credit cards, that was a wake up call to reevaluate my racing hobby. It's a long, boring story but I spent $25,000 on an engine that never did run properly and that pretty much punched me out of club racing. The other factor is time...my work situation changed to where I get about 3 weekends off a year. Makes no sense to race.

I plan to get back into it in a few years and I'm debating whether to go club racing (probably bmw and nasa again) or move into a sports racer or open wheel. I suspect the sports racer will offer more grins per dollar, after the high initial cost anyway.

I have an M3 sedan that I planned to use for DEs in the meantime but oddly enough I don't seem to do it much. I thought I had lost the taste for track days altogether but I think instead that I realize DEs are boring once you've been racing.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:32 AM

I understand. thanks. GL!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thoughts...

How do you guys get insurance for your cars and driver(s)?

-you can get insurance for the car when its in storage, in the paddock, or in transport from a few companies (motorsporcoverage.com is a bmwcr sponsor)...doubt you are going to find any coverage while the car is on track during a timed event and you really shouldnt race any car you arent ready to write off

Would these cars pass state inspections and be able to register as a street car?

-a competitive IP car will not be street legal...also, imo, any car with a full cage is not safe to drive on the street...

Also, for anyone that runs in BMW CCA club racing, namely in IP, what are the competitive mods being used?

engine - namely cams, software, etc.?

-a good cam kit in an obd1 3.2 is probably the best/easiest route...good headers/exhaust and good tuning are essential to get the most out of the motor

brakes - rules state I can run a 4-piston setup. So, I may see if Stoptechs will sell me the correct carrier to put my Stoptechs on the M3.

-i currently run stoptechs on my car...good bang for the buck package but there are better options out there (for a lot more money)

suspension(s)? rules state the front can have coilovers, but the rear cannot. seems strange, no? it can have adjustable perches and springs as long as they mount in the same locations, but cannot be coilovers. (?) isn't that what coilovers are? unless inverted, I guess is what they're talking about.

-i think this was addressed in other replies but the front is a coilover setup already, the rear is separate shock/spring setup...you have to use the stock mounting locations so you have to keep that separate setup in the rear...you can use height adjustable spring perches in the back...imho, suspension is the most important area on IP cars

tires -- are 235/40/17 RA1s going to be enough?

-to be competitive? no
Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 PM

Default thanks. can you define what a good cam kit, headers/exhaust, tuning are -- which tuners or combos?

How was the 13-hr? any links to the results?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default more info

good cam kit: cams (sunbelt or schrick), euro (3.5") hfm, 24lb injectors...don't forget a good 3.5" intake

exhaust: there are several choices out there for exhaust...i'm using the supersprint euro race full setup (headers + exhaust)...

tuning: custom/dyno tuning will help you get all the power out of the motor...there might be "off the shelf" chips for your setup that might work ok

13 hr went ok, we ended up dopping out after about 11 hrs...