Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Autocrossing A4 in G Stock

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocrossing A4 in G Stock

. Hi Guy's . First time newbe . Setting my 1.8 quattro up for G Stock . Anybody have a good combo for that class . will be installing koni , and question the springs . I know you have to stay with oem , but considering a sport , or avant or s4 spring . . Also can't change the rear sway bar ,only the front.. so looking for some help ???
Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think you do much with the springs and stay in stock class. Maybe change to the sport package springs that are available from the factory on your model car, but that is about it. At least that was the way of things during my autox days.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Why can't you change the rear sway bar?

These cars understeer a lot. You need to soften the front and stiffen the rear to make the car pivot.

As for the front sway bar there is nothing OEM that can help. There is no smaller front sway bar. However there are three different OEM rear sway bars available to you (A4 sport suspension sway bar, S4 sway bar and RS4 sway bar).

Yes you could get stiffer OEM springs, keep your front sway bar and get either an S4 or RS4 rear sway bar.

Also if you are willing to play with your alignment, get the max negative camber in the front when you lower the car and in the rear set it up at no more than -1.25 degree. Also get them to set the TOE on all four wheels a zero degree.

Another thing you can do is find the tire pressure that will give you the most traction upfront and in the rear to help pivot the car increase the tire pressures beyond what would give you the "best traction" so that the rear as a small tendency to slide due to a smaller contact patch.

Last edited by Jet Jockey/A4 Pilot; 03-29-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good advice, but not for SCCA Solo stock classes. The 2008 rulebook states "Rear anti-roll (sway) bars may not be removed, replaced, or modified in any way."

Front bars are free, and can even be removed.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:24 AM
rbt
AudiWorld Super User

Hi:
pretty sure you cannot install an S4 spring and stay in Stock. must be springs that were made available for your particular model, so that limits you to the OEM A4 Sport Package springs (FTL!). And as you mention, you cannot change rear anti-roll bar. the car is just an understeering pig, unfortunately (I autoXed a B5 for 3+ years).
your best bet might be to look at Street Touring-X class; you still won't be competitive with the top cars in that class, but you'll have more fun driving.
In STX you can do a lot more suspension work, and maybe even allow chip tuning for boost. it also allows you much more flexibility on aftermarket wheels (i hope you already know the Stock class wheel size rules).

Tip: go to Audizine and look up 'n.d.' (or "ND"), and PM him. He's one of the diehard A4 SCCA guys and has built up a B5 all the way to SM class.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This is one of the long list of reasons I got out of autox.
Spending $3k on a suspension is allowed, but $600 on really good street tires isn't allowed.

I gave up, built the best car I could afford (chip tuned, antiroll bars) and had fun with it on the track.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayP
Spending $3k on a suspension is allowed, but $600 on really good street tires isn't allowed.

I gave up, built the best car I could afford (chip tuned, antiroll bars) and had fun with it on the track.
I really liked spending a hour getting there..and hour back..five hours there...and getting three 50 seconds runs for my trouble.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JayP

... Thanks to all for good advise , I'm starting into this sport ,Experenced in motorccyles , snowmobiles drag cars .. Was going to go dragracing with a track car but too far to the track and I live next door to a road coarse in michigan , so It just made sense , bought my sisters a4 and started autocrossing but my goal it learning to drive a slow car fast and get on the track.