Getting Jerked Around by HBL...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting Jerked Around by HBL...

Sorry up front for the long rant...just venting

EXTREMELY disappointed in HBL...until now, nothing but good service.

Have an 09 S5 with under 3K miles and shake in the steering wheel. HBL confirms by Road Force balance that I have three tires that are slightly out of round...cheap OEM Dunlops. After keeping my car overnight, having it looked at by a special tech and telling me how difficult it is getting reimbursed by the tire manufacturer I get the car back with some vague promise of a future assessment.

At the bottom of my receipt, I see a note that I need to remove my H&R spacers and provide the original lug nuts (remember now that they've already told me the tires have high road force).

Bottom line...instead of doing the right thing and replacing the tires, it appears as if HBL (no doubt pushed by the factory rep) is doing they're best to make this as difficult as possible so that I'll just go away so they don't have to eat the price of new tires.

That said, I'm not a go away kinda guy
Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In all fairness, bumper-to-bumper warranties have never covered tires

Tires have always been covered separately by the tire manufacturer, especially if a defect is detected. I don't think they're jerking you around. They're following protocol. Audi didn't manufacture the tires, therefore, the out-of-round condition is the fault of the tire manufacturer, not Audi.

Not trying to be difficult, just sharing perspective that I learned about this subject a number of years ago.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Understand that Audi didnt build the tires... BUT.

lets see for $300 (dealer cost of tires) plus, what, hour of mount & balance, for a happy customer that spent 60K on a car..? Sounds like HBL is being short sighted to me.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

time to take car to the track and give tires a good scrub :-)
Old 03-12-2009, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why do you have spacers on the car?

If its something you added, its fair to say that the car needs to be tested without them.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Agreed. But HBL has never been much on building long-term relationships.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:03 PM

i could have one of our techs look at it if you were interested.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Default Yes, tires are covered against manufacturing defects to a certain extent on new cars...

This is through the tire manufacturer... you mention that they are Dunlops. Get a hold of the Dunlop tire brochure for new vehicles, it will list what you need to do to get either new tires/re-imbursed, etc. Not an easy process, as it's a bunch of work for either the advisor/service manager/parts manager, but I've seen it done.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wait, is the dispute just about the cost of the new tires? If so, just take it up with Dunlop

directly.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not sure if I'm buying that it's between me and Dunlop...

considering:

1) The overnight stay
2) The complete Road Force balance (not once but twice by HBL and then the traveling Audi tech)
3) Follow on road test
4) The vague promise of a future assessment
5) Instructions to remove the spacers and provide the original lug nuts...again, after they told me I had high road force on three tires)

BTW...this whole saga started with a trip to Goodyear, a Road Force balance on my dime and them showing me the out of round tires...you can see it when they spin the tires on the balancer.

If it was between me and Dunlop, this conversation between HBL and I should have started off something like. "I'm sorry, but we don't cover tire defects. Let me provide you with the contact information for Dunlop so you can get this resolved."

Sorry...but the dots aren't connecting.

Quick Reply: Getting Jerked Around by HBL...