Failed Emissions Test (MD resident)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Failed Emissions Test (MD resident)

I kind of have a problem and I need your help. Today I tried to pass my emissions testing and guess what? I failed, lol. They said I'm not allowed to erase my memory anytime recently prior to the emissions testing (which is bull****, IMO) so I now have an extension until April 1st, 2009 to come back and get the test done over. this is a total PITA because I think the longest my car has gone without the CEL on was when I first got it, and right after I got the the spark plugs done it went for like a day and a half without the CEL coming on... So here's my problem, I need your help to figure out what the hell I need to figure out what's up since I believe I have the "Spam" codes 17544 and 17546. Maybe I just need an air filter, or maybe I just need to check my vacuum tube again... or maybe it's worse and i need to replace something like the fuel filter. What do you all think? Is there a way around this or do I need to get a VAG cable (instead of scanner) to use a laptop to clear specific information? I've got till April 1st, so I've got time to work this out.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not exactly true, you are allowed to reset your ecu, but when you do it also erases readiness codes

and you can't pass unless your readiness codes are set (or at least most of them, depending on year of your car you are allowed 1 or 2 codes not set, at least in VA, not sure what MD law is).

Your codes are for fuel trim too lean, this could mean a number of things, including a clogged up fuel filter, dirty injectors, bad O2 sensors, bad MAF, vacuum leak, bad fuel pump, etc. etc. Basically anything that can affect your air/fuel ratio can be the problem. I would start with simple things, replace the fuel filter, replace all vacuum hoses, run injector cleaner.

You'll need a vag tool to tell when your readiness codes have set themselves, some take a bit of driving to set. What you could do is get a vag tool, reset your ecu and then start driving, usually about 20 minutes into the drive you'll get enough readiness set to pass inspection, at which point just pull over at the nearest station and get it done.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sounds good. Any other commentary? Why is MD such a PITA? let it slide...

ahhhh... thanks... yea, i think it may be the fuel filter and injectors... the O2 sensors should be fine, and the MAF I'm not so sure about since I don't have any history on whether or not it'd been replaced. The vacuum tube is a PITA so I think that may be last on the list. BUt yea, I have a scanner, but i guess the scanner doesn't give an info on readiness, so looks like I'll need to buy a cable and hit ross-tech for a demo copy of the software to check for readiness codes. any insight from anyone else? i'd like to get as much info and commentary from as many people as possible so i can go to my mechanic to work on this problem specifically.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sounds good. Any other commentary? Why is MD such a PITA? let it slide...

I am having the same code and same problem with emissions here in VA. Please let me know how it goes for you.

mpmaxwells@earthlink.net